Hello from Invercargill, South Island New Zealand

John14

Hi everyone.  I have been interested in astronomy as a hobby for a long time, but just never did anything more than read the price of telescopes. Well a couple of days ago I had another look, and thought this time I will find out as much information as I can, so I can make the correct decision about purchasing the required equipment.

I live in Invercargill which is at the bottom end of the South Island of New Zealand.  For several weeks during winter each year it is rainy and cloudy weather.  Not the best for looking at the stars.  

I have read a few reviews on telescopes and found that I need to read a lot more before I make any firm decisions about what is the best for me.  As usual with reviews you get opposing views on the same item making it very difficult for someone like me who has no knowledge about a particular brand of telescope.  

So here I am, ready and willing to learn as much as I can.

John 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi John,

Warm welcome to SGL, funny your weather sounds like it is here for most of the year!!

If you have not already done so download a planetarium program, plenty out there but try Stellarium, its great and free! to be found here :--  http://www.stellarium.org/  along with a copy of 'sky&telescope pocket star atlas' and 'turn left at orion' these will help guide you round the sky.

Before parting with hard earned cash try a pair of bino's, the best thing to do is to see where your nearest astro group is (probably Whangarei  :laugh: ! ) go and see what kit other folk have and see what might suit you best. Find a bit of budget and stick to it!. Best Bang for buck are dobsonians the 200p skywatcher has a great reputation, if you can save some budget to replace the stock eyepieces that come with it. Plenty of good guides for eyepieces on SGL especially from R.Wilkey and Warthog, if you look for these on here you will find them.

Thanks everyone for making me fell so welcome!  

swag72:  To answer your question.  I have no idea what I will be doing when you say "Are you looking at a scope for visual use or imaging?" I just don't have have enough knowledge yet to make an informed decision.  Am I correct in assuming that "visual use" would be just looking at the objects and "imaging" would be recording what you see either on video or still photography?  I have never thought about taking photos of the objects.  I guess that there would be a difference in cost between visual use and imaging equipment.

damnut: Damien, Thanks for the information about  downloading "planetarium program".  I fell like I no idea about anything to do with stargazing.  Which as a matter of fact is the truth!  But everyone has start somewhere.

Once again, thanks everyone.

John 

Hi John,

Welcome to SGL. Every year when O Centauri is up (very low on western horizon - I have to sit on the ground to be able to see it through my Dob's eyepiece) I wonder what it would look like if I was in your neck of the woods....

Since you are just starting, best to do is to source initially a couple of books on stargazing to learn a few things. Turn Left At Orion seems to be quite popular.

A website I recommend to someone who is just starting (but ignore the complicated bits initially) is Starizona. Some good details there for choosing and using telescopes and related paraphernalia.

Here is a list of sites which contain good information to get you started:

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-resources/stargazing-basics/

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-equipment/how-to-start-right-in-astronomy/

Also, if you feel inclined to take a little trip, you can head for a stargazing tour at:

http://www.thecoromandel.com/new-zealand/product/?product=stargazers-astronomy-tours

Best of luck starting in the hobby!

Hi John,

You are so right, the cost of kit for imaging v visual is huge. However, it does not stop you planning ahead and thinkig about what you may do in the future. With imaging one of the most crucial aspects is the mount, you can always swap the telescope you use on the mount, but an imaging mount NEQ6 say will cost 3 times as much as a 200p dob. So start slowly, the dob will serve you well over many years, and there are great images prduced from dobs which can be heavily DIY modified for little cost.

Well, I now understand that buying a telescope is like buying a car.  I want a Ferrari but the wife will only agree to a Kia.  I will keep reading and looking and see how I go.  Thanks everyone for the advice.  

John

Archived