Hello from Australia!

Elysian

Hiya, I'm 27 and from Western Australia.

I've been interested in astronomy as far as I can remember, my grandpa would buy me books and always tell me about the stars and planets when I was a kid. I sort of lost interest around high school but astronomy has always managed to creep back into my life (how awesome was the recent Cosmos series? Fantastic!).

I've recently just bought my first telescope, a 10" Dobsonian. It's been a long time coming! The first night I took it out I managed to get a glimpse of Saturn and I was absolutely amazed, even the Cassini division was clearly visible, and I was able to see some colour bands over the planet. Mars wasn't as spectacular but I believe it isn't unless its in opposition. None the less it was a lovely red disc.

I've ordered a x2 Barlow (don't know why I never ordered it with the damn telescope) and also 'Turn Left at Orion' star chart book. So I should be set for a little while until new bright shiny lenses want my attention.

Glad to be part of the forum and I will be lurking around when the skies are bad and I can't drag the Dob outside :p

Oh no not another Aussie... seems like every time I log on theres another one :D

From Sydney myself although I now call the old dart home. Looks like you'll Have one team in the AFL finals (unless they come up against the swannies). 

Anyway, glad you're enjoying your return to astronomy and enjoy those beautiful southern skies.

Hi Elysian and welcome to the forum. Great scope with a very helpful allocation of aperture (....you'll always want bigger! :grin:  :grin: ) and a scope that is big but not too difficult to move about or transport to darker sites.

Wishing you long clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here.

James

Archived