Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Greetings from London/Surrey

aurora sky

Hi I've just registered and ordered my first pair of Bins today.

I'm in high school and I am planning on taking GCSE astronomy course the year after next. I would like to start observing the skies, costellation ,planets etc....

My mum has ordered me celestron 15x70 bin and is looking at mounts to buy. She said she will buy me the bresser binoculars from lidl when they come out as they will be easier for me to handle.

I would be grateful for any help and suggestions for sky viewing and equipment advice.

P.s I would love to take photos and would like to know how to take them.my mum said I can borrow her DSLR camera once I know what I'm doing :(

Thankyou for reading This

Lulu

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Lulu and welcome to SGL - Bino's are a great place to start. If you download Stellarium - a free planetarium programme - then that can really help you navigate the sky. As an imager, I would say to not even think about taking photos for a while. Enjoy your time visually. There's a good binos section on the forum too.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hi Lulu. I noticed that you have already posted a welcome in this section but if it's answers to questions that you're after then posting under the relevant section(s) will yield you more responses. In answer to your question above, you might want to take a look at a fellow member's website called Binocular Sky which is a great site for gear, advice and suggested monthly targets. You might also want to consider downloading a free planetarium piece of software called Stellarium which will help you identify objects of interest as well as help you rehearse where to find them. Lots of other great features with it as well to keep you occupied when the clouds come in.

Clear skies

James

Hello and Welcome to SGL. Bins are a great way to get into astronomy. There's a good section on here devoted to their use. I know the Sky at Night mag has a monthly observing guide for bins, I'm sure the other astronomy mags do to.

Archived