NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi from Shropshire

almcl

Hi everyone.

Been lurking here for about a year and what a fabulous forum!

Many questions I have had have been answered brilliantly, sometimes before I even knew I had them :)

I am not exactly 'new' - I had a 4" reflector more than 50 years ago.  Tube was made of cardboard, there was no way to align primary or secondary mirrors and the stand was a cardboard tube attached to a piece of chip board which would be put on a table. Anyone else have one of these? 

Now I have a Skywatcher 200P on an EQ5 mount, an assortment of additional eyepieces and a pair of motors and have been absolutely blown away with what can be seen, even from a light polluted back garden.  If only such instruments had been available at equivalent prices in the 1960s and 1970s.

Hi almcl,

I'm much like you - I've gleaned an enormous amount of info from these good people

I'm really happy with my 200p too. For the money it performs brilliantly. Sadly I converted from visual to the dark side which is astrophotography, and the EQ5 is a little over-stressed. I'm having to spend far too much time tweaking, and not enough time imaging.

Enjoy yourself.

Rob

Hi Almcl and welcome to SGL. Home made telescopes with cardboard tubes were much to the fore in the earlier days with lenses and eyepieces from the Exchange and Mart. The beautiful  brass refractors from the likes of Cooke Trouton and Simms were a bit outside most pockets, I also don`t think there was the interest then, that there is to-day. You will certainly enjoy the advancements with your 200P :)

Thanks for all the welcomes!

I must say I am still (over a year on) awestruck at what can be seen.

That cardboard scope in Marcus's post looks much more sophisticated than the one I had (and yes, it did indeed come from Exchange and Mart).  I'll try and post picture at some point, but here's a link:

http://www.almclwebpages.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/4inchreflector1963.jpg

Archived