hello

oldnut

today I was given a sky watcher dobsonian, an 8" I think. it was a present, I had said about an interest in star gazing and my wife brought it for me. I do not know a lot about star gazing so I am looking for a recommendation of a  beginners book that will tell me where everything in the sky is. also I have read a few post and it seems that better lenses are almost always the first thing that need buying. hoping to take it outside later to see what I can find :smiley:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to SGL - A good beginners book is 'Turn Left at Orion' and you could also download Stellarium onto your PC, this is a good planetarium programme which should help you learn your way around the sky as well.

Look forward to seeing you around and enjoy your new scope :smiley:

Heya and welcome!  :smiley: .

What a great present, an 8" dob.

+1 For the book "Turn left at orion", although there are good alternatives.

+1 for downloading Stellarium.

And you`ve already found Stargazers Lounge  :smiley: .

Good luck with your stargazing

Rune

Hi and welcome.

+1 for stellarium and you can also get it as an app for your tablet/phone. You could also buy a Mag like The Sky at Night or Astronomy Now as they will tell you what is currently visible.

Peter

Hi, Oldnut, and a warm welcome to SGL! Apart from the recommendations for 'Turn Left...' (an excellent introduction to star hopping by the way!) I would also recommend downloading the free planetarium 'Stellarium' which is used by many on here to both show what is available to view and to plan for a viewing session. It is customisable to individual scopes/binos giving an idea of what you should see through your own eyepiece. Downloadable here: http://www.stellarium.org/?ttdown

Hope that helps,

Martin

Archived