Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Herbig-Haro 555 in IC5070 (The Pelican nebula)

swag72

Ever since getting the C9.25 I knew that this was one target that I really wanted to capture, along with IC5070 as a widefield target. Talk about two extremes! I will collect some colour data on this, but I think this one stands on it's own in mono.

The moon is on the large side and normally I'd not bother imaging, but I've been going a bit stir crazy so just decided to give it a shot, despite logic telling me it was not going to be pretty.

Herbig-Haro objects are quite interesting being one area of star formation. In this image it is the tip of the right hand side pillar and there's a couple more besides, but they aren't quite so interesting!

Details:

M: Avalon Linear Fast reverse

T: Celestron C9.25

C: QSI690 WSG with 3nm Ha filter, SXAO unit.

11x1800s totalling 5.5 hours of imaging time.

post-5681-0-34233900-1402600154_thumb.jp

A larger resolution image can be seen here http://swagastro.weebly.com/uploads/2/3/3/7/23377322/ic5070_ha1.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great to see a dedicated Herbig Haro on here. Very finely done.  I''m very impressed, because this long FL image isn't done with a six grand scope on a ten grand mount but it does a good impression of having been so taken. Yes indeed.

(My Avalon will be leaving Italy shortly, I hope. Your image is making me impatient!!!)

Olly

Sara, forget the science for a moment, that is looking absolutely superb. Looks like you've got the set up singing at last. Brilliant.

As for the science, I've never heard of Herbig-Haro, so thank you for raising a new subject for me to research!

Thanks all for your comments - I appreciate you looking :smiley:

@Olly - I am sure that the Avalon will come soon. Mine took a day from Italy and it did look lovely!!! And as you have spotted, it works pretty well too!! I think I'm quite impressed with the £800 budget scope :D

Very nice!. Glad you got a clear night to get some imaging in - and what an unusual target too.  That looks a very interesting section of sky.  You're making imaging look too easy with that C9.25 of yours - which of course it isn't.  Top gear in the hands of a top  imager. :icon_salut:  :icon_salut:  :icon_salut: 

John

Cheers Keith. I think I've ended up being recognised by my 'narrowband images' (I use the term loosely!!!) so why change the habit of a lifetime? :grin: I shall definitely be collecting OIII and SII data on this one. I will be breaking the SII filter out of retirement, as I've not used it yet in over a year!! :smiley:

I hit the 'like' button earlier but didn't comment - that is a very fine image Sarah. I keep wondering about the merits of Astrodon 3nM filters and ruefully consider the asking prices, maybe with a bit more convincing I would spend the money :)   Is it true you need all three (Ha, OIII and SII) to get a balanced image though? Can you use an Astrodon Ha with Baader OIII and SII?

ChrisH

....I keep wondering about the merits of Astrodon 3nM filters and ruefully consider the asking prices, maybe with a bit more convincing I would spend the money :)   Is it true you need all three (Ha, OIII and SII) to get a balanced image though? Can you use an Astrodon Ha with Baader OIII and SII?

I really do rate these 3nm Astrodons. I did a quick comparison on a thread last year between the 7nm Ha and the 3nm Ha. I didn't have the Baader OIII and SII long enough after the changeover to do any sort of meaningful comparison.

Purely an opinion, and nothing more, I would be surprised if the 8.5nm Baaders were a sufficient match to the 3nm's.

Regarding a balanced image, I will be using the SII for the first time on this target since I've had the filters, over a year ago. I've stuck to OIII and Ha in the past. You can decide for your self whether my bicolour images are balanced :grin: I like them though!!!

Archived