Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A night with the big glass.

swamp thing

Hi All

I'm not going to report on all the objects I observed from the Llyn peninsular as there are too many . What I'm going to try and do is give you all a bit of an idea of what it's like to be at a dark sky site with a 20" scope to drive. In other words, give a few of you a bit of aperture fever. :evil6:

I should explain that on this occasion the site in question was not as dark as it would have been at more favourable times of year, so it can only get better than what I'm writing.

First up was NGC6888 the crescent nebula in Cygnus. This was observed with my 31mm T5 Nagler and Lumicon O-III filter. The 31mm provides me with a degree FOV at 75x magnification.

This is an easy target at a dark sky site and the added contrast of the O-III filter really pulls out detail kicking and screaming and rams it into your eye. The full crescent shape is dead simple it actually looks like a translucent brain floating in the eyepiece. The brighter portions actually show a lot of detail the added contrast of the O-III makes the darker regions really stand out surprisingly well. Some of it actually appears a bit like the veil nebula with its fine filamentary structure.

A good representation of how it appears in the eyepiece can be found on sky safari app (for those that have it) look at the picture on there, imagine that in black n white and that's how it looks through the scope.

The veil nebula was my next target, again with the 31mm and O-III filter. From sites like this, the veil nebula is simply photographic. In fact throw in the aperture and you'll be hard pressed to find an image that shows as much detail as what can be seen visually. The delicate tendrils of gas are all there smacking you straight in the eye. Imagers tend to image the entire veil so they often don't actually capture as much detail as what can be seen visually with a large scope. It is stunning I kid you not. One of the best descriptions of it I've ever read was "it looks like a length of burning rope dangling across the eyepiece" that is how bright and detailed it is.

If you are ever asked what nebula you would like to see through a big scope. This is right up there amongst the very best visual views you'll ever see.

One of the other observers with us actually remarked "it's red" upon seeing it. Now I've never seen colour in the veil but I have no reason to doubt those that do. They said it had a red tinge to it that I've never even heard others report. Have any of you ever seen colour on the veil??

My next target goes to show how aperture doesn't always rule. The North American nebula. Here the image scale of the 20" scope really counts against it. This object is far better in smaller scopes. So much so that I actually struggled to find it I kept looking through the nebula rather than at it, and it was some time before I found the Gulf of Mexico portion and got my bearings. Once acquired though I was able to trace out the coastline with reasonable ease. After observing it with the scope I pulled the filter and found it easily with just my eye and the filter. It actually stood out very well considering the sky conditions there at the time.

With the filter back in place I headed off to Sagittarius and the wonderful nebulae around there.

I began at the bottom with the Lagoon nebula. This was lurking very low down and I did question how well it would actually stand out, but I could see it through the finder so decided I would give it a bash.

The O-III brings it out very nicely even when this badly placed. Giving great contrast on the dark lane and structure within it. The increased image scale of a large scope really helps here as one has no need to up power. You can simply observe it at its brightest with the largest exit pupil. At this low power it's very bright and obvious, the star cluster within it gives it an eerie glow. I have actually seen this better through a smaller scope when it's been better placed, but the 20" still gives a good account of itself.

A short hop up the sky brings slightly better transparency and the triffid nebula is a real wow moment. This is seriously good. Again it's the increased image scale that means its so much bigger at low power and it really leaps into the eyepiece. The O-III filter again shows the dust lanes that give it it's name extremely well indeed. They positively "pop" into view, showing remarkable detail. Again it's pretty much black n white photo time. These nebulae are really showing some amazing detail. The dust lanes themselves appear almost like net curtains lying across the glowing gas behind them. Very beautiful indeed.

Up to M17, now if the triffid was that bright just how much more so will the omega appear. Short answer........wow! Err tough to describe this. Some call this the swan nebula. Through the 20" it's more like a swan floating in a pond with the whole park around it. It's enormous. The extension of glowing gas is breathtaking. The big Nagler isn't big enough. The swan part is so bright, it's like a cloud. its almost too bright to see structure in if that makes sense. From this sky site the 20" is giving B&W photographic views of these objects. The big Nagler is just incredible in this scope for these nebula I would happily glue it into the focuser you simply don't need anything else. Although perhaps calvins 21mm Ethos may be nice too. If your reading this Cal you are going to melt at the eyepiece when you check these objects out from somewhere really dark.

Next is the Sagittarius star cloud or M24. Now if you wanna know a "bucket" cluster you simply must see through a big scope, this is it. Big scopes often don't do open clusters very well but this is a definite exception. It's just myriads of stars everywhere you look. It makes the double cluster look dull. This is an incredible sight that almost makes one laugh at how rich and beautiful it is. No other cluster can even get close to the sheer numbers of stars here. I reckon one could sell tickets for this view. Breathtaking, it just goes on and on, it's enormous in size and if you ramp up power it just gets richer, with more stars appearing to fill the gaps the power would normally make. There is no drop in richness anywhere within it. No image can do this object justice, visually having this amount of stars in the eyepiece is just WOW! It actually eclipses any other open cluster in the sky.

The last object I'm going to write about is the galaxy M106.

Now here we have a little beauty of a galaxy that likes a bit of power and doesn't get all shy on us when we ramp it up.

For this object it's out with the 31mm and in with the 12mm T4 Nagler. This eyepiece gives me just under half a degree at 0.4* and 190x magnification.

I get great contrast at this kind of power and the galaxy really "pops" into the eyepiece. M106 is actually pretty big at this power and stretches majestically into the eyepiece. The French curve like spiral arms reach out across the FOV. The arms are bright and easily seen, and there is a tight knot close to the core. The core itself appears elongated at this power and there is a dust lane close in to the core which can also be seen. All in all a fine study.

Look forward to getting back to Wales real soon and enjoying the wonderful skies they have there.

Clear skies to all :)

What a great report Steve and I can easily see how reading it could bring on aperture fever :smiley:

I agree with you 100% on the Veil Nebula being one of "the" sights in visual amateur astronomy. I find this object compelling even with my fast 4" refractor and my 12" scope has given me a taste of the sort of details that larger apertures can deliver on this marvelous multi-faceted object, or group of objects really   :smiley:

Worth the price of a good O-III filter and a fine low power wide angle eyepiece on it's own I reckon :grin:

great write up Ste on a great night of semi darkness we had.I cant wait for the long dark nights at the site, I think it will become THE place togo although I think it will be close match with Elan. When you showed me the Crescent Nebula steve the Bright part across the top of the "brian" stood out in red to me, I don't know if this was the filter but It was great to see an object imaged so much.

The Veil what more do I need to say it was simply breath taking. The twist of the filament's intertwining with each other as you panned around was probably the best view of a nebula I have ever seen! I cant wait to see that again when its darker   

Steve a great report. Your description with the 20" makes my mouth water. I am hoping to be visiting North Wales - close to the Llyn Peninsulia in both August and September. Unfortunately I will not be taking a scope just the 20x80 binos.

Do you have a secret, special site on the Llyn? The place that I really like is Morfa Nefyn - great pub on the beach  :smiley: 

Thanks for the kind comments all.

@Mark. I believe DanK has a link to the campsite we stayed at in his "5 nights at Llyn peninsular" thread. The owners were great, even turning outside lamps on the toilet block off for us. They also came over for a peek through Dans scope during the evening. We tried to persuade them to maybe get a 30" Dob in an observatory there but I think we were pushing it a bit :)

Steve a great report. Your description with the 20" makes my mouth water. I am hoping to be visiting North Wales - close to the Llyn Peninsulia in both August and September. Unfortunately I will not be taking a scope just the 20x80 binos.

Do you have a secret, special site on the Llyn? The place that I really like is Morfa Nefyn - great pub on the beach  :smiley:

its not far from morfa about 15-20 mins. that pub was packed when I went. the queue was out the door

Thanks for the great write up Steve, it hasn't given me aperture fever (phew!! :grin: ) but it sure has made me look forward to seeing those Summer gems again! :)

Heres to dark skies and big apertures!  :cool2:

Sounds a joy Steve and a wonderful session and list of objects.  :smiley:

Great report and a cracking testament to dark skies, hurrah !
Nick.

As Nick says it is a testament to what good dark skies are like too. Not to get me to buy a bigger scope yet though. Keep trying rubbing it in, you may succeed one day :grin:

what a great write up steve,cant believe i missed that yesterday, when we looked at the veil in yours and mmy scope i could see colour it was like a dark red/brown never thought of mentioning it as it was my first view of it.roll on dobfest 2

what a great write up steve,cant believe i missed that yesterday, when we looked at the veil in yours and mmy scope i could see colour it was like a dark red/brown never thought of mentioning it as it was my first view of it.roll on dobfest 2

Darn my eyes are too old, rats!

Colour in the veil wow! Gutted I can't see it.

Cracking read Steve, but did you have to write it? I am feeling my tiny 14" is gonna be totally outclassed at Elan valley now :laugh: :laugh:  Bring on those dark skies. Gentlemen, start your dob's......

nice to read a report done with a big dob under semi dark skies...lets hope Elan's a belter..

nice to read a report done with a big dob under semi dark skies...lets hope Elan's a belter..

Cal

It's a lot darker than this was. Llyn didn't get that dark this time, it was simply the wrong time of year. When I've been to Élan it was black. Proper black. This wasn't close.......yet :)

Archived