Hi from West Yorkshire UK

Gash

Hi all

My name is Gary, I live in Pontefract, West Yorkshire. By trade i am a field medical service engineer. Hobbies include Metal detecting, flying model RC helicopters and quads and very very new to it, looking at the skies.
I got a very good deal on a Celestron Nexstar 127 LST, but need to do a lot of book bashing, had a go tonight, saw nothing even though there was plenty of twinklies out there - own opinion, i dont know how to use the scope or what i am looking at. Any help welcome, lot to learn so prob be asking so many simple questions at first.

Regards

Gary

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Gary and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us and decided to join. There's a wealth of knowledge on the forum and so if you have any questions then just ask. None of us were born astronomers :grin:

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hi Gary,

It's not unusual to see nothing on a first attempt, very common in fact!

Top tip is to set up in the day and get focus on something really far away (NOT the sun!).

Then you will have a better idea of how the scopes works and whereabouts the focus point will be for your eyepiece.

I test new gear by pointing it at a ski slope about 10km away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Gary welcome to the lounge,

hope you get your head around your scope soon, if you get

stuck just post your question in the relevant forum, someone

will know the answer.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's 

Thanks for all the welcomes, tbh i have been looking at sky gazing for a couple of months now so picked quite a bit up, I was a member on another large astronomy forum for a bit but i used to post questions and only the odd few replied, it seemed that because you were a newbie they didnt want to know. Well i like a bit of a laugh so i posted a few jokes on the off topic forum ( ok one or 2 may have been a bit close to the bone) but no warnings or anything and was banned for life. I am still in contact with a friend on there who basically told me " Thats how they run"

So honestly i have been watching this forum for a fair few days, and i must say, the banter is a lot friendlier so here i am, i know my mouth can run off a bit and if anyone is offended by anything i post, please tell me at least i know where i stand. 

I am much so still a newbie and will be open to all help and requests

As the saying goes "Clear Skies" and all the best to all

Gary

Archived