Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A very, very weird mount !

Viewmaster

Here's my barn door tracker with a Skywatcher AX synscan head mounted on it  .  :eek:

I know that I could have gone the simpler way and bought a GOTO tracking mount, but having already built the barn door I thought, "Why not GOTO as well?" 

The GOTO (mounted level to start) will find the DSO and then the barn door tracking motor will be switched on, then the camera.

The big problem is that there are no longer any clear nights to align, adjust and test it all out. :sad:

post-31001-0-86799700-1401813504_thumb.j

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for kind words guys. I had a lot of trouble with the main bearings but hope that is sorted.

It was tracking OK for 15 minutes with a 200mm lens but that should now be improved

when I test it out next..........no clear sky here since last Sunday week.

You need to add a dutch polar scope to it..

It already has a home made laser PA system.  Laser in a tubular housing is offset at 45 arc minutes from RA axis using adjusting screws for alignment and can be rotated to get correct Polaris RA. 

Here's a piccy of it..........

post-31001-0-29525800-1401870440_thumb.j

Thanks Matt.  Well,  I may try to convert it into a time travelling machine and go to where

there are no clouds. :grin:  

The weather here in UK has been awful recently, but last night was good,

so keep fingers crossed.

Thanks Matt.  Well,  I may try to convert it into a time travelling machine and go to where

there are no clouds. :grin:  

The weather here in UK has been awful recently, but last night was good,

so keep fingers crossed.

At the very least, I reckon you should consider buidling a rocket as your next project, idealy something that could take this lot above the cloud layer!

An absolutely wonderous bit of kit - truly fab!

And many happy returns to you.

All the best

Simon

• 2 months later...

Here's one of the first efforts taken on the barn door tracker of the Veil Nebula.

It's a single 5 minute RAW at f5.6 and ISO 800.

I thought it rather pretty, but maybe the colours are all wrong?  

There are many coloured versions on the net and I don't know which is correct.

VeilNeb_zps44f74fd2.jpg

Archived