NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Another newbie from Scotland

ics27

Hi all. I've been lurking on the forum for a wee while now. Decided to sign up to use the forum properly. I've noticed on many posts, theres quite a lot of members from Scotland! 

I've always been interested in Space and as a child read many books on the subject, as well as having a kiddys telescope which I used to look at the moon and not much else. As an adult, my interest has not spanned any further than watching as many documentaries as I can find and further reading. Astronomy has always been something I've known I'd get into at some point and I've decided at the age of 28 to do so. 

I don't have any equipment as yet but intend to purchase the Celestron 71008 15x70 Skymaster binoculars in the next month or so. By all accounts, the Celestron's appear to be a good way to start. Eventually I would like to get in to astrophotography. In the mean time I hope this new hobby lets me observe and admire the planters and galaxies around us. I'm looking forward to getting started, but for now and the next month or so, I will be using the naked eye and hopefully learning my bearings.  

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another thing which I forgot to mention which I thought I'd add in order to see if theres many, or any like me who are colour blind? If so, how do you feel this impacts the hobby?

Hi and welcome to the lounge,

bins are a great way to learn the night sky, try this link

http://binocularsky.com/ it's a very good site, download 

the monthly newsletter, it gives you lots of targets to look

for, and shows you how to find them. 

Being colour blind won't really affect your enjoyment as most

targets are black and white through the eyepiece, maybe when

you start A P it might be a different  story.

Good Luck and Clear skys

Hi James and Welcome along on this magical ( must Add money devouring hobby. lol ;) ) journey into Stargazing. You can get lots of friendly and Helpful advice here.

Clear Skies. :)

Hello ics27, welcome. I'm on the East coast - the less cloudy part of Scotland  - yeah right! Clouds aside,  it's a wonderful hobby giving an opportunity to learn about our amazing universe and enjoy all the technical aspects (you will do that a lot when it's cloudy).  You are well placed for visiting  the Scottish Dark Sky Observatory.  You may also find it useful to pop along to your nearest Astronomy club for support.  Anyway, have fun, lots to learn on here but watch your wallet - this gets addictive and expensive!

Jim

Hi & Welcome to SGL.  If you post in the Beginners section on Getting Started Equipment Help & Advice, there will be plenty of advice to be had there as more people may view it. Good luck with your purchase, you have joined a very friendly forum.

Hi There,

Warm welcome to SGL.  all good advice above, also downlaod a planetarium program, lots out there but try stellarium. Its great and free to be found here :--- http://www.stellarium.org/  .

As far as colour blindness goes, then for visual its only the planets and coloured stars that you may have difficulty with. DSO's are faint grey fuzzies visually, but you don't mention which spectrum of colour you have difficulty with.

Archived