NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from Berkshire, UK!

Oortrageous

Hello there,

My partner and I were lucky enough to be away camping last week in the lovely clear Oxfordshire countryside, and had our first glimpse of Saturn and Mars through our first telescope.

While I've always been interested in space, and had toyed with the idea of a telescope for a couple of years, I never got round to it for one reason or another. I made an uncharacteristic, thoroughly unresearched (again, highly out of character) purchase of a Celestron Astromaster 114. As I have been known in the past to think I'll enjoy a hobby only to buy some mid range kit and find I don't like it, an initial outlay of £100 seemed a good place to start. Whilst I've learnt since getting back that for similar money with some research, I could have had a better scope, it wouldn't have bought us the most incredible three nights of looking at the night sky we could have wished for - totally hooked!

Our current plan is to spend our very limited viewing windows this summer getting to know the sky, what objects we tend to find ourselves looking at most often and pick your brains as to what 'grown up' scope we should buy to suit this! In the mean time, I'm very keen to get the most out of our little impulse purchase, with some new eyepieces and a collimator!

It does seem I've picked the worst time to start though - our local astronomy society (Reading Astronomical Society) met for the last time on Friday gone :(. On the plus side, their first meeting after the summer is written on the calendar, and we're planning a week camping in October/ November in Dartmoor, for some really dark skies!

Looking forward to learning from, and hopefully contributing in our own small way to the community here!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Oortrageous and welcome to SGL.

Just a quick queery about Reading Astronomical Society, that was proberbly the 'Beginners Section' or 'Astro Basics' meeting. Due to my present work commitments I have been unable to attend either the 'Main' meetings (Saturday's) or the 'Beginners'/'Astro Basics' meetings (Friday's) this year.

Hi Oortrageous and welcome to SGL.

Just a quick queery about Reading Astronomical Society, that was proberbly the 'Beginners Section' or 'Astro Basics' meeting. Due to my present work commitments I have been unable to attend either the 'Main' meetings (Saturday's) or the 'Beginners'/'Astro Basics' meetings (Friday's) this year.

Hi Philip,

Indeed, I believe that was the 'Astro Basics' indeed, apologies having looked again at the website I appear to have missed the fact there's a monthly meeting on June 21st, which talking about the James Webb telescope, which I believe is Hubble's successor. That's pretty awesome! I'm going to go an introduce myself at the East Reading festival a week on Saturday (7th June), and hopefully will attend that June 21st meeting, very interesting subject! Thanks for posting or I'd have missed that entirely!

Oh dear, I've done it again, East Reading festival is in fact on Sunday the 8th of June, apologies!

Look forward to meeting you on one of them. Assuming I am not working on either date.

Archived