Hi guys and Girls, Roger from Erskine

Butehawk

Just found this site and have not had time to fully look around.

Very much an amateur but have always loved looking upwards.

Bought a cheap Aldi National Geographic Dobson telescope 76/350 to look at the moon a couple of weeks ago.

I have spent more time looking at the Stellarium software that was included and getting to know the sky than looking through the less than perfect Aldi Scope.

I am looking for a better scope and doing a lot of research on the web but as soon as I find something I like or is recommended I find someone else slating it or or saying that they would not touch one for a million pounds.

I like the look of the Celestron Nexstar 6SE or the larger 8SE.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Roger

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Roger,

Glad you found this site. Plenty of information to be had here and a great bunch to share it with you.

I can't help you with the Celestrons but I'm sure plenty will

Hi Roger and welcome to the lounge, I would suggest you visit your local Astro club (have a look at the Social Groups forum) and have a look at scopes in the flesh so to speak, club members are great people and will let you have a look through their scopes before you buy.

Welcome from me, too. SGL is a good place to be. Take your time, read all the stuff you can and, as suggested by others, if you get a chance for some hands-on time, take it.

And enjoy the head-frying, the seeming contradictions, and the downright duh!? moments. It's all part of the experience.

Prolly as important - clear skies!

Hi Roger & Welcome to SGL. If you post in Beginners - Getting started equipment help & advice as more people would view that section.  Just copy & paste. You will certainly get  plenty of advice.

Archived