Possibly my best Saturn...

Starman

Hi all,

Here's another shot of Saturn from the 11th February. The seeing was very good at this time allowing me to catch the Cassini Division running across the planet, the Encke Division (visible at the extremes of the rings) and the possibility of a number of lighter patches in the belts, the veracity of which I can't tell until I've processed the next data set...

2008-02-11_01-50_Saturn+800n.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now look here young Lawrence, I want you to tell the truth. You have acquired one of Harry Potter's magic wands haven't you?

It can be the only explanation for witchcraft like this. Good heavens man, Hubble can't get a picture that good.

I think they should abandon the next Hubble repair mission, and just ship you and your C14 and Imaging gear up the the ISS.

Your pay could be half of what they save on the repair job.

I shall now be serious. That's not bad.

Ron. :D

Thank You Ant. Mistake rectified. :D

I think they should abandon the next Hubble repair mission, and just ship you and your C11 and Imaging gear up the the ISS.

Ron. :D

Pay attention that man - it's a C14, C11 indeed :D

Fantastic image Pete - it must be harder and harder to keep getting better shots...

Ant

I think they should abandon the next Hubble repair mission, and just ship you and your C14 and Imaging gear up to the the ISS.

Ron. :lol:

Pay attention that man - it's a C14, C11 indeed :D

Fantastic image Pete - it must be harder and harder to keep getting better shots...

Ant

Sorry boss, but I can't count past eleven. :D I fixed it

Trevor - the colour channels have been mildy sharpened and contrast enhanced. Although the processing plays it's part, it's the seeing that makes the difference. Reading the sky and catching it at exactly the right time is the key. I've got a mate who lives 5 miles down the road from me and 2 hours earlier he had awful seeing and captured a fuzzy Saturn. I wasn't going to bother at all, feeling tired and with the residuals of a lingering cold, but something forced me to haul out the C-14 and have a look. It's as much about luck than anything else.

As soon as you grab a good seeing capture of the planet you'll appreciate what I'm saying - it's like working with a different beast. Processing such a capture is delightful because everything falls into place effortlessly. Capture Saturn under poor conditions (as most of us have to) and it's blooming hard work that makes you wonder what the trickery is.

Ron - at least you get my name right! I can't tell you how many times I've been called Steve (why Steve??!). :D

Hi Pete

Absolute belter of an image. One question, how come the view flips between the first image and the last RGB set. Am I right in thinking that the view in the last set is the proper SCT orientation? I only ask as I was viewing Saturn in my C8-S last night and thought I could see a pinky hue at the bottom and a bluey hue at the top.

Cheers, Martin

Archived