NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Young beginner getting into astronomy

Errif

Greetings fellow astronomers!

I'm a newbie to astronomy and I've always thought space was something mysterious, unknown but yet fascinating and about two months ago I started looking into it.

I made some searches about astronomy then about telescopes but found all the information overwhelming, all the things you had to take into consideration and I ended up leaving it. Then about three weeks ago I got back into it and I made sure to go slowly, that's when I found this web page and it has been a very helpful resource.

After reading many great things about the Skywatcher skyliner 200p dobsonian telescope I decided to get it. Since then I have observed 3 times and I have looked at Jupiter, Mars and M57(barley visible) from my porch which is fairly light polluted and with some street lights in the way.

Currently I'm hoping the clouds could go away so that I could look at my next goal, Saturn that is.

And to avoid any confusion I'm saying this now, I'm just 15 years old and it was my dad who bought the telescope(which I still paid for).

Lastly I have a question for you: I found that the dobsonian azimuth and somewhat the altitude axes were kinda sticky and not really as smooth as I would have liked though it's not a huge problem just a minor inconvenience(for now).

Well that is all I had to say so clear skies to all of you.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Northern Sweden should be getting almost no darkness for the next couple of months. So be aware of that.

Saturn should come out fair, but it will depend on the eyepieces you have. I assume just the standard 2.

If money gets that far look at the TS ED II eyepieces. They are the same as the BST Starguiders here, but TS are I suspect more used to mailing around Europe. Consider the 8mm.

When the moon gets out of the sky, and if you get the chance point the scope at the last star in the handle of The Plough (Sorry no idea if it is the same name in Sweden), just below the last star, Alkaid, is a slight smudge/blur, that is an incoming comet. Not spectacular but worth trying to find.

If the base/mount gets to be a problem ask in the DIY section, there will be several "modifications" that people will be able to suggest depending on how extreme you want to get.

Tjenare från Nårje  :smiley: . And welcome.

Since you live up North in Sweden I would highly recommend you to get a glimpse of Saturn as soon as possible. Living so far north as we

do, some of the planets will be very low for the next few years. 

Download the brilliant Stellarium and set your location, your 15 : Stellarium will  definitely be easier to master than Dark Souls 2  :wink: .(ok I'm a bit biased when it comes to youth here)

Your lucky to get such a good scope as your first telescope  ( I`ve got a similar)

Did you buy your scope at Astrosweden?

Hälsningar

Rune

Since you live up North in Sweden I would highly recommend you to get a glimpse of Saturn as soon as possible. Living so far north as we

Download the brilliant Stellarium and set your location, your 15 : Stellarium will  definitely be easier to master than Dark Souls 2  :wink: .(ok I'm a bit biased when it comes to youth here)

Your lucky to get such a good scope as your first telescope  ( I`ve got a similar)

Hälsningar

Northern Sweden should be getting almost no darkness for the next couple of months. So be aware of that.

Saturn should come out fair, but it will depend on the eyepieces you have. I assume just the standard 2.

If money gets that far look at the TS ED II eyepieces. They are the same as the BST Starguiders here, but TS are I suspect more used to mailing around Europe. Consider the 8mm.

When the moon gets out of the sky, and if you get the chance point the scope at the last star in the handle of The Plough (Sorry no idea if it is the same name in Sweden), just below the last star, Alkaid, is a slight smudge/blur, that is an incoming comet. Not spectacular but worth trying to find.

If the base/mount gets to be a problem ask in the DIY section, there will be several "modifications" that people will be able to suggest depending on how extreme you want to get.

Hello ronin

I have the standard 2 eyepieces plus a Super Plössl - 6mm, a Super Plössl - 15mm and a TS Barlow 2x - 1.25" with integrated T2 thread - achromatic

I'll try to find the comet if I get the chance

Hälsningar

Rune

Hello Rune

Well I got my telescope and the other accessories mentioned above from Teleskop Service in Germany (http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/index.php)

But yes summer time will not be good for astronomy so I'll try to use the remaining darkness as much as I can.

Ops messed up the reply a little sorry, but thanks for all the advice and I think my time on the SGL definitely will be worth it.

Hi Errif welcome to the lounge,

you will definitely enjoy your time here in S G L, any problems just post

your question in the relevant forum, lot's of 200p users here and all are

willing to help.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's 

Welcome to the forum... Link in my signature to dob base mod thread, hope you get some clear skies soon

Hello knobby

Thanks for the link but I think I will wait at least to the beginning of the summer to make any adjustments, that's when I have plenty of time to spare while also not risking of wasting a good dark night.

Archived