Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Oh dear..is this the end of my astronomy? (PART 2 )

ChrisLX200

Just a quick point whilst we are in an election period and I hope the Mods won't mind a gentle foray into the world of politics in general since a few people have mentioned being accosted on their doorstep by political activists.

I worked in politics for a long time a while back and am still reasonably active - although it is slightly more difficult now living in another country.

Canvassers for the mainstream political parties do take note of what is said to them on a doorstep. It does often get logged and fed back. Although to some extent the quality of that feedback does depend on the resources available locally.

Whilst we might not be able to compete with anti-social behaviour, education or healthcare as issues, the more people raise the issue in a constructive manner the more local politicians will take notice. They do respond to the issues people raise. I certainly remember issues being discussed at a high level and becoming the main focus of activity because of feedback from local canvassing.

And when stargazing, astronomy, space programmes, research, and people's awareness of their surrounding environment rises up the agenda, the more decision makers will hopefully notice and take action.

Just a thought...

K

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The height of lighting columns is determined by the class of road, most of all urban residential lighting is limited to 6 meters following on to bus routes and fairly busy traffic routes this extends to 8 meters and 10 meters. Beyond this comes the urban motorway and major trunk roads, the height then extends to 12 meters and above. There is a code of practice formed in association with the APLE ( Association of Public Lighting Engineers ) HTH :)

Great information and many thanks.  Is there a code of of practice for a next door neighbour ( a Docotors surgery ) to install high power security lights that not only illuminate the cul de sac but also my bedroom and come on with a slightest whisper of a breeze or a car passing? Despite our objections the council gave them premission to build and make a nuisance and ruin a lovely 6 house residential cul de sac. Do Not Become an Astro Imager in Manchester . :mad:  :mad:  :mad:

Regards,

A.G

The height of lighting columns is determined by the class of road, most of all urban residential lighting is limited to 6 meters following on to bus routes and fairly busy traffic routes this extends to 8 meters and 10 meters. Beyond this comes the urban motorway and major trunk roads, the height then extends to 12 meters and above. There is a code of practice formed in association with the APLE ( Association of Public Lighting Engineers ) HTH :)

Well I can't see any difference to the parts of my road that have the high lights, higher than the houses, and the parts that have lights half the height, same road, same markings, same width, same houses, same buses, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, perhaps they didn't know about the code of practice :)

Dave

Or too lazy / mean to take notice?

I'm getting the impression, from what happened in a neighbouring borough (Hounslow) that LEDs are seen as a panacea, not needing thought about how they're used. Just bung any old LED on a pole. I think the council must have bought a job lot of stadium lights.

Well I can't see any difference to the parts of my road that have the high lights, higher than the houses, and the parts that have lights half the height, same road, same markings, same width, same houses, same buses, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, perhaps they didn't know about the code of practice :)

Dave

All design lighting will have been done for your highway by the County Council. What you describe is obviously a bus route. If you are concerned over the variation in mounting height of the lighting standards and you want to pursue this further, you will need to make inquiries with the County lighting Engineers Dept :) 

All design lighting will have been done for your highway by the County Council. What you describe is obviously a bus route. If you are concerned over the variation in mounting height of the lighting standards and you want to pursue this further, you will need to make inquiries with the County lighting Engineers Dept :)

Thanks, I'll see if I can find an email address for them and find out if they have any plans or spec for replacement lighting, they only need to be a foot shorter.

Dave

OK, SSE called me and said that they couldn't fit a side shield as it's not part of the contract with the Council. They suggested I speak directly with the Council.

I spoke with the Deputy Councillor and explained to her that on top of intrusive light in our house my astronomy has been damaged. She was interested to know more about my astro activities and said it was unique and interesting. She'll be chasing up the case for me, and promised to pop over this week  at night to have a look herself. Fingers crossed!!

OK, SSE called me and said that they couldn't fit a side shield as it's not part of the contract with the Council. They suggested I speak directly with the Council.

I spoke with the Deputy Councillor and explained to her that on top of intrusive light in our house my astronomy has been damaged. She was interested to know more about my astro activities and said it was unique and interesting. She'll be chasing up the case for me, and promised to pop over this week  at night to have a look herself. Fingers crossed!!

If she does pop over you could tell her that Astronomy wouldn't be so unique if there was't so much light pollution.

The Heavens are accessible to everyone - if only there wasn't so much lighting in towns and cities.

Lee

• 3 weeks later...

OK, a quick update...ah well...nothing.

Third week on the row I was asked to call back the week that followed and she still didn't speak with ''somebody about light pollution''. Apparently she hasn't been well for days. Fair enough, the lady sounded a bit frail.

In all fairness, she came by as promised a couple of weeks ago and left a note through the door as she said. But I didn't find this note...perhaps got lost in the other advertising rubbish you usually receive day in and day out. So far I tend to believe her.

Anyhow, I took her email address last week and wrote a long ''essay'' explaining the situation. I attached many photos and even a map to show where the light is situated and how it's affecting me. I didn't receive a reply.

I wrote another email today quoting the Clean Environment Act. And adding more info and proper shielding image examples.

I don't know, the lady sounds genuine, but things are incredibly slow. How much time does it take to pick up the phone and check?! I don't know what her circumstances are..

I'll call again this week as she asked. No progress will mean I'll escalate to local MP and other Council members.

I've waited till after the elections as I figured they'd be busy
but as of Monday I'm going to start ta complaint about the LP I have to suffer needlessly using photographic evidence
and see where it leads, I really hope you get a result I really feel we are treated as a Minority and Health & safety or crime seems to override our basic rights
to a reasonable amount of unobtrusive lighting not a policy of just light it up and forget about it
I also plan to use the Financial savings of reduced power or even a total power down in the small hours  as there is no need for them
due to other light overspill from the express way

I received an email today from the Councillor and she's reassured me that she's on the case and had a local council official who's interested in LP involved. I provided her with all the necessary information available.

She was asking about any other astronomers with the same problem. I was thinking, our fellow Hampshire astronomers experiencing issues with street light may need to join the force. Let me hear back from her, and  then pass all the complaints across should be required. Fingers crossed!

In my new house, in the last couple of days, rugby posts have been erected in a large open field to the south (on uni ground). I'm just wondering how long it will be til they erect flood lights. I dont mind flood lights while training is going on, i hope and pray they dont leave them on all night.

Not like i have a great southern view due to large trees (which according to land registry maps, i own, and can have cut down).  That would be expensive and i am not sure it a good idea as they seem to block any light from any flood light erected.

In my new house, in the last couple of days, rugby posts have been erected in a large open field to the south (on uni ground). I'm just wondering how long it will be til they erect flood lights. I dont mind flood lights while training is going on, i hope and pray they dont leave them on all night.

Not like i have a great southern view due to large trees (which according to land registry maps, i own, and can have cut down). That would be expensive and i am not sure it a good idea as they seem to block any light from any flood light erected.

I wouldn't worry too much. Usually they train or play ...leave and turn off the lights. I think it's a strict regulation.

Hi emad,

the councillor was the key to me solving my problem lights and I made sure I emailed them and said thanks. Good to see this moving forward and maybe offer them the chance to see saturn or something through the scope to get them interested.

cheers

What kind of solution did they provide?

• 2 weeks later...

My garden is where I do most of my observing. It has 3 Sodium street lights over hanging the north west quadrant of the sky. Not good at all- however this has a happy ending.

I reported the issue a month ago to my local council under the faulty street light section of the web site. I complained about the badly shielded lights & they said they would consider the issue. I heard nothing after nearly 3 weeks so I contacted them again through the web. I hinted that I did not want to go to my local MP & complain about light pollution ruining my enjoyment of the sky & the associated physiological damage.

My wife telephoned me at work to say that a large maintenance lorry appeared & RESULT- all the sodium lights have been blacked out.

If you moan & bitch enough you can get the result you want- everybody has the right to observe the sky as nature intended & I think I scored a little victory for everyone in that direction!

The lady Councillor has involved another councillor who's apparently interested in light pollution. He told me he had a telescope when he was younger and the sky light infusion sparked his interest. Fingers crossed things are moving forward. 

I sent an email to the street lighting dept of our local council on 4th April asking for their policy concerning energy saving, light pollution etc. To date, no reply. I've just emailed again, pointing out that as a rate payer I have a legitimate interest, and had an automated reply.

Not holding my breath!

funny, i got an email about an hour ago from my council, saying they have now activated dimming for the light post at the back of my garden which is great, i emailed back and asked what time does it dim so i can check at that time to make sure it does dim lol, so now i have a dimmed light with a shield so im happy :) i only practise from my garden and gain experience for when i go to my dark site which is good for me as i dont waste valuable dark sky time

Archived