Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Oh dear..is this the end of my astronomy? (PART 2 )

ChrisLX200

I could have held my breath!!

Had a reply from the council. They have just decided to implement a "part lighting" policy where 6000 lights across the county will go off between 12.30 and 5.30am. Also the replacement (when required) of the Sodium lamps with dimmable LEDs. Sounds like a result!

Perhaps more importantly, I've made a contact and got a name so I can make enquiries about my own problem light. I've written to thank him for his prompt reply.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well the council is just a joke! one step forward and 2 steps backward, after many weeks/months getting them to correct my lighting to a point i was happy with it, they have gone and trashed all there hard work and i do not know why!

at first they installed a new LED lighting, then they put a light shield on it, still way too bright, so them dimmed it (this week) which was totally perfect! now today a  council van pulls up, totally takes the whole of the top lighting post off and replaced it with a different style LED light, kind of like a big flat panel thing, twice as big as before and 100x brighter, i do not understand why they have done this after the hard work they put in fitting the light shield and dimming it.....does not make any sense to me one bit! so im even worse then back to square one, great isnt it, and this new one has no light shield, i feel to pull my hair out if i had any left

You need to escalate and take photos of the new light. Also, keep emails record. And yes...this is absolutely disgusting..

yes im far from amused to say the least mate.... no doubt it will be many more months to get it shieled once again, and dimmed,..... it feels like deja vu...... *sigh*

• 1 month later...

I had the lighting engineer over earlier this morning. I showed her the street light and she suggested - since adding a shield would be difficult (God knows why?!)- to start dimming the entire street  this week and also put a request forward to cut the post down by one meter. She says they can do the cutting within 6 weeks, but the dimming should start within 2-3 working days - 25% dimming before midnight and 50% after...fingers crossed, let's see !

It's amazing they're willing to cut down the light post, but not going to fit a shield .... surely the cutting is more time consuming and requires more labor.

I noticed some sort of node has been installed on top of the ugly beast outside. They said they were going to activate the dimming for this and other lights on our back street by the end of the week. I'm guessing it's for dimming...let's see if that makes any difference. I'm not full of faith though, I have to see it to believe it.

post-27451-0-33526500-1406291084_thumb.j

Just think how much hassle it would have saved if they'd done some sort of internet consultation to see if any interested parties had any input before they started.

Lights in side roads around here have started going off at 1.0 am but the first thing most people new about it was when it happened, some thought it was a power cut  :grin:

Dave

I always find it odd that people think that without street lights crime and anti-social behaviour will increase.

What person would hang around a dark area up to no good?

Surly they would need lighting to do graffiti etc.

As for intruders and burglars then they would have to bring torches which to my mind would be more noticeable.

As for street safety – shouldn’t all vehicles be fitted with lights and use them.

Lee

• 1 month later...

Archived