Hi from North Devon, UK

1CM69

Hi all,

my name is Kirk although I use the handle 1CM69 here, (which is a play around with my birth year, i.e. 1969 & MCMLXIX), I use this as it it fairly easy for me to remember.

Anyhow, I live in North Devon, England UK and have been interested in anything to do with space and astronomy ever since I can remember.

I have never owned a telescope but always wanted one but when I eventually started earning my own money, other thing seemed to always take precedent.

A couple of weeks ago I hit a major milestone, it was one year since I gave up smoking, a very proud moment for me and because of this achievement my wife told me that I could buy something for myself as long as it was something just for me and that I really wanted it.

After a lot of research I actually chose to get a pair of binoculars, Celestron Skymaster 25x70.

It seems, however, that no matter how much research you do there is always something you miss. I struggled with the 25x70s, not the weight as I have a tripod but it was the image quality and the inability to focus right in.

I just contact Amazon where I purchased them and returned them for a replacement.

The replacement pair was no better so I returned them for a refund.

I then shopped around, did some more research and settled on Helios Apollo 15x70s, although First Light Optics are currently out of stock, I did drop in on them and tried out the 10.5x70s that they had, very, very nice, top quality gear.

To cover the time until I get the 15x70s I purchased a pair of Helios Naturesport 10x50WA bins, again, seemingly miles better build quality against the Celestron 25x70s.

Haven't really had much in the way of clement weather since receiving the 10x50s but I have a few minutes using them and yes, I am very impressed. I'll discuss this more in the binocular forum.

I could have got a telescope straight away but I thought that binoculars would give me instant access to the sky and having only two nights a week free to do this, I needed to be more mobile.

At a point in the future I will most definitely get a telescope but I will be easing myself into it gradually when I know more about what I am doing.

Regards..,

1CM69

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome from very far up the country.

Hope you're getting clearer skies than we have of late ...

You've come to the right place for help and advice. Not from me, really, but folks who know lots more than I do.

Hi, Kirk, and a warm welcome to SGL!

Hi Kirk and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us, we're a friendly bunch! There's a great binocular section as well that you can look into.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Welcome to SGL,Kirk!

Dana

A warm welcome to SGL

Looks like you are just down the road from my parents in Bratton Flemming. Living in Surrey I am very jealous of your clear un light polluted skies

Welcome from very far up the country.

Hope you're getting clearer skies than we have of late ...

You've come to the right place for help and advice. Not from me, really, but folks who know lots more than I do.

Hello!   :hello:

And well done with the smoking. Good man.

Hi welcome to the SGL

Stephen

Hello from a few miles south in Winkleigh :)

Hi, welcome to SGL!

Hello Kirk and welcome to SGL!!

Thanks to you all. :)

Welcome to SGL. I grew up in North Devon-really miss it sometimes. Great skies on exmoor. I have taken my setup there a couple of times and they're the best skies I've observed yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived