NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

hello from brecon

ekim

hey im new to all this ,I have a second hand telescope f 700mm x dia 76mm refractor type .it came with 4 lens 20mm,12.5mm,9mmand 4mm also a barlow lens.ive got some great shots of the moon but cant seem to look at the planets I tried mars the other night but did nt get much of a view any help welcomed

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to SGL - I pressure that your telescope has a finder scope? It's pretty easy to align this during the day to a distant object - This will ensure that at least in the dark you will stand a fighting chance of finding what you are looking for. It could also be that you are trying too large a magnification.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hi and welcome to SGL - I pressure that your telescope has a finder scope? It's pretty easy to align this during the day to a distant object - This will ensure that at least in the dark you will stand a fighting chance of finding what you are looking for. It could also be that you are trying too large a magnification.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

thanx for the wecome ..it does have a finder scope .I think I found mars but all I could see was a white dot n the the spider part of my scope

Welcome to SGL  :smiley:

Mars is a tricky target, especially with a smaller scope. Have you tried Jupiter yet? You should be able to see the four largest moons and possibly some surface detail.

hi no I haven't yet only the moon  and mars next clear nite ill look for Jupiter cheers for the advice

hi no I haven't yet only the moon  and mars next clear nite ill look for Jupiter cheers for the advice

I get very little detail from Mars due to the quality of my scope. I know it's Mars from its location and reddish glow, but not from any detail.

What brand / type of scope do you have? Also, what brand of eyepieces? Could be you don't see much due to limitations in the quality of tool (as with many cheap eyepieces).

Good luck though and stick in, it gets better!

Mark

Hi ekim, Welcome to SGL. 

why not come along to one of the Astro societies near you, there are 3 in reasonably close proximity, Abergavenny is probably the closest, meets in the Kings Arms in Abergavenny oposite the post office. loads f friendly users, and some great talks and workshops also. as regards the scope, try as stated, and align it using a distant object, try a feature on one of the many mountains around you , they will be far enough and provide a reasonable. distance. 

best of luck with it all

Welcome Ekim. One thing going for you is that you're in the right part of the world for dark skies.

Mars can be tricky, even with the best of scopes, so don't despair. If you're getting a white blob with the spider, it sounds like the focus wasn't quite right.

Have a look at the pinned topic "what can I expect to see" in the "getting started with observing" section

Good luck, and clear skies

Jason

Hi and welcome to the lounge,

this wonderful hobby is quite hard to grasp at first, but the more

you use your scope you will learn it's good points and also it's

limitations, most scopes come with mediocre eyepieces so that

limits you to what you will view, Jupiter and the Moon are the best

targets to begin with, get used to focusing on those two, and try

the different eyepieces to see which ones are the best for you use,

but most of all enjoy learning, the more you use your scope the more

you will enjoy.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's