Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGL 9 weather

mdstuart

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm intrigued... Do I (if it's lashing it down)

1) wait in the car....
2) attempt to put it up, to the hilarity of onlookers....
3) set up the telescope tent....
4) go home and wait until it's stopped.. ( I do not live so far away)
5) go to the pub
6) find someone to jaw to...

I have never put up a tent in the rain... The thought fills me with dread.

Perhaps it's time to lose my nylon and canvas based virginity.

???

As long as the tent is a sensible one - by which I mean the outer layer goes up first - it shouldn't be a problem. It's more an issue of how wet you mind getting, and whether you can get the contents from the car to the tent while keeping them dry...

My forecast for you guys shows it clear now, so good luck!

Also no rain tomorrow supposedly, we'll see if that's right when I get there :D

I follow a weather forum quite regularly and the guys on there are every bit as passionate and geeky about their hobby as we are with ours but I've lost count of the times they ramp up a situation only to see things go pear shaped at the last moment - weather is a very unpredictable beast and the UK being long, narrow and surrounded by water is one of the worst for getting forecasts perfectly accurate -keep the faith you'll have a great time whatever the weather - by the way, at the moment Tuesday looks the best day to be getting the tent up so far.

Fine weather is just a bonus. There's so many folk to catch up with and so much to learn. Seems that so many scopes attract the clouds, 6 out of 7 star parties that I've been to have had the most horrible weather,

Nick.

I always put up my scope tent first. that way I can empty most of the car's content (ot's a solid tube 16"). the main tent I'd usually wait until either it stops raining or until I won't have enough time to put it up before it gets dark - sleeping in the car is no fun.

I agree with Nick though/ clear skies are a bonus in this country.

Weather at the moment is warmish.. cloudy with attempts to shine through (although as bright patches). Fingers crossed :D

Last night it absolutely bucketed down! Those on soft grass may want to ensure their ground sheet is water proof if you're arriving today!

All quiet on the western front...

Im going to arrive tomorrow afternoon (about 4pm) - hopefully by then the worst of the days rain will have past and It will give me a chance to get the tent up (in record time!). Ive got an extra groundsheet - big enough to be folded in two actually, so that should give some added protection against the wet earth.

But I cant see me being in a rush to set up the gear, for the time being it will stay in its waterproof container until its safe to come out.

I'm intrigued... Do I (if it's lashing it down)

1) wait in the car....

2) attempt to put it up, to the hilarity of onlookers....

3) set up the telescope tent....

4) go home and wait until it's stopped.. ( I do not live so far away)

5) go to the pub

6) find someone to jaw to...

I have never put up a tent in the rain... The thought fills me with dread.

Perhaps it's time to lose my nylon and canvas based virginity.

???

The trick is not to get your clothes wet or you'll make the tent damp when you go in. For this reason, when it's raining, it's normal for people to set up in just their under-crackers.

The trick is not to get your clothes wet or you'll make the tent damp when you go in. For this reason, when it's raining, it's normal for people to set up in just their under-crackers.

please wait until I get the timelapse cameras up and running :) it will be something to watch while we pass the time between rain drops

Ok, so freshly laundered underwear is ready.

I see that SGL star parties have changed format somewhat since i last attended.... That's what comes from missing staff meetings. I too will stay in a warm environment. You might might know it as a "house"...

Archived