Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

mdstuart

SGL 9 weather

should have been there last year, had 1/2 inch of ice on my little observing tent L.O.L.

and the heater packed up one night, was shivering within 2 minutes

• Like 1

So this morning, xcweather is predicting Friday night will be clear in Hereford.

However this has been changing every 12 hours, which leads me to the conclusion "it will be changeable" and all long term bets are off... But hopefully changeable means there will be some clear spots, so "shooting for the holes" sounds about right :)

(... trying not to get too excitable ... failing! :D )

Edited by KevUU

I predict afternoon bbq, rain. End of bbq, clear. Scopes out, cloud. Go to sleep, clear etc etc...

• Like 1

I predict afternoon bbq, rain. End of bbq, clear. Scopes out, cloud. Go to sleep, clear etc etc...

BBQ, beer and a nice chat with like-minded loonies people sounds okay to me :)

I dont care, right now i'll be just happy to have the week off & if we get any clear skies it'll be a bonus.

Beer & Jaffa cakes are loaded as is everything else, just the scope to go in the morning. Can't wait

• Like 3

I'm with you Alan, week of work, beer galore, Jaffa cakes and good company. Good weather is just a bonus.

• Like 2

should have been there last year, had 1/2 inch of ice on my little observing tent L.O.L.

and the heater packed up one night, was shivering within 2 minutes

I boiled the kettle to make a drink last year before heading to bed.. in the morning I picked up the kettle - the water was an ice cube inside.. by the tuesday morning.. the car had icicles..

still warm and sunny here.. just been flocking the spectrograph :D

Next up will be readying all the bits and bobs.. I think packing efficiently this year will be key..

Hazy sunshine in Hereford at the moment. Just returned from Lucksall  having said hello to Luke, sarah and Matthew. Luke was doing some solar observing with his 60mm Coronado - was able to have a quick look!!

Hope we get some clear slots over the coming week. Site looks very good.

• Like 1

Hi,

Countryfile weather for the next five days....

Basically, warm with showers, misty mornings, difficult to predict past Thursday.

So, we will not freeze to death, ideal shorts weather....... both clothing and malt!

See you soon.

Cheers

Adrian

I was there last year and can remember that our heater in the caravan couldn't keep the temp up! :-o But wasn't that earlier in the week rather than main event??

+1 that clear skies will be a bonus :) Well I got some solar imaging done today and a brief view afterwards, so no blank for me.

Mark a shame I didn't have the double stack with me, I have a single stack as I mainly planning to image. The filaments showing up in the stacked image are lovely :)

To be fair, last year we had a sum total of 2 hours clear over the main days, at midnight on Saturday (20 mins after horizontal sleet...), and I still had an awesome time :)

So I agree clear skies aren't the be all and end all :D

Although, it'd be nice to look through a 2" ep, and nick's 6" frac, and and and .... ;)

Just checked Scope Nights and it is showing clear skies for the first half of Saturday night.... Come on!

Feeling slightly guilty about the weather forecast as we picked up a lovely 10" dob yesterday - might be our clouds... :embarrassed:

However it shouldn't affect Lucksall too much as we can't fit it in the car to get there   :rolleyes:

• Like 1

why do we always take forecasts as prophetic gospel  when they are negative but are rather skeptical when they give lovely sunny and clear weather? I don't believe any of them. they constantly change completely and differ across sites indicating to me that they really don't have a clue what's going to happen.

• Like 3

Hmmmmm, looking kinda cloudy, and I'm short on time, think I'm going to leave the astro kit at home, unless the forecast improves between now and Tuesday morning :s

Why believe weather forecasts ? Well, it sets me up for a surprise.... Every single forecast says the same. From Thursday onwards, (my arrival day) it's raining and cloudy.

I am really happy to be disappointed...

• Like 1

based on my last star party, if we even see our own star during the weekend I'll be reasonably happy.

• Like 3

based on my last star party, if we even see our own star during the weekend I'll be reasonably happy.

Yeah, the Peak Star Party wasn't great for weather was it? That wind was scary at times... thought my tent was going to take off! 

totally Rae, at least this weekend the winds look light. my method of weather forecasting is stick my head out of the tent on a regular basis. I'll be bringing some reading (and drinking) material though. I do agree that it's about the social side too but it's much better if it's shared with astronomy not sitting in a wet tent.

• Like 3

Arrived and had enough time to put up the tent, the canopy, the utility tent.. unpack - then the thunder storm deluge started.. stopped long enough for me to up the front of the tent .. and started again.. it's just stopped.

There's no wind really ...

When did you arrive ?

Probably about 4pm - oh and raining again!