Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SGL 9 weather

mdstuart

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So this morning, xcweather is predicting Friday night will be clear in Hereford.

However this has been changing every 12 hours, which leads me to the conclusion "it will be changeable" and all long term bets are off... But hopefully changeable means there will be some clear spots, so "shooting for the holes" sounds about right :)

(... trying not to get too excitable ... failing! :D )

I predict afternoon bbq, rain. End of bbq, clear. Scopes out, cloud. Go to sleep, clear etc etc...

BBQ, beer and a nice chat with like-minded loonies people sounds okay to me :)

should have been there last year, had 1/2 inch of ice on my little observing tent L.O.L.

and the heater packed up one night, was shivering within 2 minutes

I boiled the kettle to make a drink last year before heading to bed.. in the morning I picked up the kettle - the water was an ice cube inside.. by the tuesday morning.. the car had icicles..

Hazy sunshine in Hereford at the moment. Just returned from Lucksall  having said hello to Luke, sarah and Matthew. Luke was doing some solar observing with his 60mm Coronado - was able to have a quick look!!

Hope we get some clear slots over the coming week. Site looks very good.

I was there last year and can remember that our heater in the caravan couldn't keep the temp up! :-o But wasn't that earlier in the week rather than main event??

+1 that clear skies will be a bonus :) Well I got some solar imaging done today and a brief view afterwards, so no blank for me.

Mark a shame I didn't have the double stack with me, I have a single stack as I mainly planning to image. The filaments showing up in the stacked image are lovely :)

To be fair, last year we had a sum total of 2 hours clear over the main days, at midnight on Saturday (20 mins after horizontal sleet...), and I still had an awesome time :)

So I agree clear skies aren't the be all and end all :D

Although, it'd be nice to look through a 2" ep, and nick's 6" frac, and and and .... ;)

why do we always take forecasts as prophetic gospel  when they are negative but are rather skeptical when they give lovely sunny and clear weather? I don't believe any of them. they constantly change completely and differ across sites indicating to me that they really don't have a clue what's going to happen.

based on my last star party, if we even see our own star during the weekend I'll be reasonably happy.

Yeah, the Peak Star Party wasn't great for weather was it? That wind was scary at times... thought my tent was going to take off! 

totally Rae, at least this weekend the winds look light. my method of weather forecasting is stick my head out of the tent on a regular basis. I'll be bringing some reading (and drinking) material though. I do agree that it's about the social side too but it's much better if it's shared with astronomy not sitting in a wet tent.

Arrived and had enough time to put up the tent, the canopy, the utility tent.. unpack - then the thunder storm deluge started.. stopped long enough for me to up the front of the tent .. and started again.. it's just stopped.

There's no wind really ...

Archived