Hi from Maine!

DomDubois

Hi, my name's Dominic and I'm new to the forum.  

I've been interested in astronomy to some degree my whole life.  Recently in the last two years this interest has peaked. So I have been reading some forums, magazines and books and a few months ago I was finally able to purchase my first telescope!  It's been very cold out here and I'm usually very busy so I've only used it a few times, but this spring when it warms up a bit, I am looking forward to getting it out a lot more.

I look forward to becoming a member of the community here and hopefully one day I'll know enough to offer some advice myself  :tongue:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Dominic and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us and decided to join. It's a friendly forum with people who really do know their stuff. So if you have any questions, then do ask, none of us were born astronomers :grin:

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone  :smiley:

I did a fair bit of research and weighed my options, I didn't want to spend a fortune and realize that I didn't care for the hobby, so I ended up getting a 10" dobsonian.  Definitely not the more portable telescope out there but I love it so far. It is made by Apertura, and it appears to be identical to a Zhummell. For eyepieces I just have the two that came with the scope.  One is a 9mm plossl and the other is a 30mm 2" .   I've enjoyed viewing the moon, and recently viewed M41, and M42 with the 30mm.  The 9mm has got me decent views of Jupiter but I find it a bit more frustrating to focus than the 30mm piece.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone  :smiley:

I did a fair bit of research and weighed my options, I didn't want to spend a fortune and realize that I didn't care for the hobby, so I ended up getting a 10" dobsonian.  Definitely not the more portable telescope out there but I love it so far. It is made by Apertura, and it appears to be identical to a Zhummell. For eyepieces I just have the two that came with the scope.  One is a 9mm plossl and the other is a 30mm 2" .   I've enjoyed viewing the moon, and recently viewed M41, and M42 with the 30mm.  The 9mm has got me decent views of Jupiter but I find it a bit more frustrating to focus than the 30mm piece.

Hi Domninic,

You should get some decent views of Jupiter through your 9mm EP.

This will either be a useful or dis useful question but have you collimated your telescope?

Hi Domninic,

You should get some decent views of Jupiter through your 9mm EP.

This will either be a useful or dis useful question but have you collimated your telescope?

Yes I collimate my telescope before each use

Archived