Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Explore Scientific 16" Dob is out!!

emadmoussa

Focuser is on the wrong side for me....

but as it's a truss tube scope it might be okay if assembled the other way round? I'm going to be interested in hearing how people get on with this and the 12" ( standing up to repeat assembly, owner mods - e.g. upgrading to moonlite truss connectors etc). Definitely something I could be interested in myself sometime in the future.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

but as it's a truss tube scope it might be okay if assembled the other way round? I'm going to be interested in hearing how people get on with this and the 12" ( standing up to repeat assembly, owner mods - e.g. upgrading to moonlite truss connectors etc). Definitely something I could be interested in myself sometime in the future.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I think there's a level of bias in astronomy. You hear over and over again people praising Skywatcher and talking down GSO for example - without necessarily having used a GSO gear. The same applies to Explore Scientific, it's  becoming pretty popular, but a lot of astronomers are a bit hesitant to invest in their products. I don't know how good optically these dobs are, but having played with one at Astrofest this year I was impressed with its build and mechanics. I tried several ES products, and so far I haven't been let down...

Emad,it looks as if they used an AL square tube frame with thinner side plates riveted on for the mirror box,rocker box-when you saw the other one did you notice if this is the case?They look utilitarian,but if they work it may be a good value.Any word on mirror specs?

Any word on mirror specs?

I suspect mirror specs for that sort of cash will be the fairly standard thing. My guess 1/4PV  - 1/6 PV at best with the standard coatings. I suppose like most of the Chinese equivalents sort of class perhaps ?

Interesting that the weight was one of the boasting points in the video is not mentioned, if  that figure I recall, something like 35 kg was it ?  I certainly would want that on the page as a selling point, but it is not specified.

Interesting that the weight was one of the boasting points in the video is not mentioned, if  that figure I recall, something like 35 kg was it ?  I certainly would want that on the page as a selling point, but it is not specified.

first thing I checked on the specs too, and probably right on the mirrors too - still it is a good price and nice looking bit of kit even in yellow/black.

Archived