Hello from Dubai

DAWSkipper

Hello Stargazers, 

I am completely new to this forum and this is my first posting. I am a Canadian that has been living in Dubai, UAE. for almost nine years now. For a couple of months every year, I return to Canada and call Nova Scotia home. 

During the Nova Scotia summer months, this is when my passion for astronomy is rekindled. Although, I've had an interest in astronomy for a long time now, this time of year is when my interest is piqued. I live close to the Kejimkujik national Park which recently has been designated a Dark Sky Reserve. The night sky around my summer home is phenomenal. On dark nights, I find myself looking up at the stars and planets for hours on end. Compared to the UAE, it is unbelievable the numbers of stars, planets and constellations that are clearly visible. When I'm back in the UAE, I can believe how much of a difference the light pollution and dust obliterate the night sky. You have to go far out into the desert to really see anything. 

The aurora borealis is also of particular interest to me as well as some of the other Dark Sky Reserves that are popping up in other parts of the world. I've seen the aurora on many occasions, but mostly when I'm back in Canada and further up in the north. it's truly a stunning sight to see. 

What drew me to this website, was an article I had read on the internet about someone that had started off in astro-photgraphy using an iPhone. That's something that really got my attention. I'd like to take my interest in astronomy a step further and I thought that astro-photography with an iPhone would be a cool place to start.  

In any event, I hope that I've told you a bit about myself. I look forward to hearing back from other members of the community in the not too distant future. Many thanks. 

Cheers,
Steve Leslie 

Hello Stargazers, 

I am completely new to this forum and this is my first posting. I am a Canadian that has been living in Dubai, UAE. for almost nine years now. For a couple of months every year, I return to Canada and call Nova Scotia home. 

During the Nova Scotia summer months, this is when my passion for astronomy is rekindled. Although, I've had an interest in astronomy for a long time now, this time of year is when my interest is piqued. I live close to the Kejimkujik national Park which recently has been designated a Dark Sky Reserve. The night sky around my summer home is phenomenal. On dark nights, I find myself looking up at the stars and planets for hours on end. Compared to the UAE, it is unbelievable the numbers of stars, planets and constellations that are clearly visible. When I'm back in the UAE, I can believe how much of a difference the light pollution and dust obliterate the night sky. You have to go far out into the desert to really see anything. 

The aurora borealis is also of particular interest to me as well as some of the other Dark Sky Reserves that are popping up in other parts of the world. I've seen the aurora on many occasions, but mostly when I'm back in Canada and further up in the north. it's truly a stunning sight to see. 

What drew me to this website, was an article I had read on the internet about someone that had started off in astro-photgraphy using an iPhone. That's something that really got my attention. I'd like to take my interest in astronomy a step further and I thought that astro-photography with an iPhone would be a cool place to start.  

In any event, I hope that I've told you a bit about myself. I look forward to hearing back from other members of the community in the not too distant future. Many thanks. 

Cheers,

Steve Leslie 

Hi Steve and welcome  :smiley:

Hi Steve welcome to the lounge,

Dubai, a favorite holiday destination of ours, been there quite a lot,

not good for stargazing, but out in the desert is ok. but Canada is a

fantastic country for dark sky's, very envious.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's 

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum. Imaging might start with an iPhone but the, "Dark Art" as imaging is sometimes referred to, has a habit of taking a little bit more from you than the cost of a smart phone. You might want to consider a book by Steve Richards called "Making Every Photon Count" to get a more qualified and comprehensive account of what is involved because we don't want your first image of a black hole being the one in your wallet!  :grin:  :grin:

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here.

James

Archived