NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Vixen Atlux 150ED - First Light :-)

Well, I've been waiting to try this scope out for a little while, and hoping it would all come off! Should finally officially be mine very soon.

You may have noticed a little clearing out of kit recently ;-), well this has been to create some space and cash to allow the Atlux to join my collection.

I've always wanted a large ED refractor, and could not turn down the opportunity with this one. It is a really wonderful and rare scope, and is very solidly mounted, aptly enough, on a Vixen Atlux mount. They look very nicely matched I must say.

I will do a more detailed report soon, but just wanted to post up about this first light.

Jupiter was absolutely wonderful earlier on, so much detail visible in and around the GRS and belts. I've just been finding my way around the Skysensor controller which seems very powerful and easy to use so have limited myself to easy targets.

The contrast of the scope is lovely, with objects much more clearly defined, the nebulosity in M42 for instance.

The SN in M82 was quite clear despite having dimmed a lot recently.

I caught M65/66 which I have not seen from home before, plus M97 with a Lumicon UHC. This was very clear, with strong hints of 'eyes'

Other normal favourites, the double cluster for example with a 21e was spectacular.

Mars was showing surprising detail despite being low down and next to a chimney, and finally I split Izar more cleanly and clearly than I've seen before.

I'm enjoying the goto, easy to setup, quiet and simple to use. Nice to be able to concentrate on targets without nudging.

So, all in all, a dream scope which I am delighted with. More pics to follow, here is a quick one of it set up tonight.

juneqe6u.jpg

Blooming cold out there now, frost on the scope and ep cases. Really should put something other than crocs on, toes are a little numb :-).

Cheers,

Stu

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stu - you lucky, lucky so and so !!!!

That is my dream scope and I very nearly bought one recently - maybe the one you now have !

I'll look forward to further reports on it but with some envy I have to admit  :undecided:

Congratulations on acquiring a rare and fabulous scope  :smiley:

I believe there are only a handful in the UK and not many more worldwide. 

Stu - you lucky, lucky so and so !!!!

That is my dream scope and I very nearly bought one recently - maybe the one you now have !

I'll look forward to further reports on it but with some envy I have to admit :undecided:

Congratulations on acquiring a rare and fabulous scope :smiley:

I believe there are only a handful in the UK and not many more worldwide.

Thanks John. I do feel very lucky to have it :-). Suffice to say my buying days are over! I suspect if anything I will trim down my eyepiece collection rather than part with this.

I also suspect it may have been the one you considered. It has a rather nice AP R&P focuser on it which is very smooth and solid.

I was somehow expecting more CA with it but it is pretty much colour free visually with lovely diffraction patterns. The split with Izar was really clean, best I've seen and it was still low as I said.

More to follow, bit tired now, just warming up with a cup of tea, scope was quite iced up!

Stu

Stu, 

you are one very dark horse, i did not know you were even thinking of this scope, but congrats on the purchase   :grin:

Like John i will be following your reports, with a little envy

Stu,

you are one very dark horse, i did not know you were even thinking of this scope, but congrats on the purchase :grin:

Like John i will be following your reports, with a little envy

Sorry Jules! I'm just a little superstitious and tend not to tempt fate by talking about things incase they don't come off!!

Hopefully this will be coming with me to PSP so if the skies are kind you can have a look yourself :-)

Stu

Big refractors are just so nice. We were talking about woodburning stoves last night and agreeing that they give off a heat that you can't replicate any other way. Same with big refractors; the view is unique. Not everyone feels this but those who do, do...

Olly

Congrats, Stu, that scope looks awesome! :smiley:

Is it one you could/would use with a Herschel Wedge as well for solar? I dream of a compatible 140/150mm frac for white light! Oh yes, and for a bit of the night time stuff too :grin:

Big refractors are just so nice. We were talking about woodburning stoves last night and agreeing that they give off a heat that you can't replicate any other way. Same with big refractors; the view is unique. Not everyone feels this but those who do, do...

Olly

Unfortunately for my finances, I do!

Stu

Congrats, Stu, that scope looks awesome! :smiley:

Is it one you could/would use with a Herschel Wedge as well for solar? I dream of a compatible 140/150mm frac for white light! Oh yes, and for a bit of the night time stuff too :grin:

Thanks Luke.

I'm not sure I'm brave enough for the wedge, but certainly intend to try some Baader film on it. Should still be great.

Stu

Stu what a fantastic scope. I wondered why you were selling so much kit - I can now understand your reasons now that you have bought this dream scope. I should imagine it will be brilliant on the Planets, Star Clusters and Doubles. Really look forward to reading your report on the scope.

Stu what a fantastic scope. I wondered why you were selling so much kit - I can now understand your reasons now that you have bought this dream scope. I should imagine it will be brilliant on the Planets, Star Clusters and Doubles. Really look forward to reading your report on the scope.

Thanks Mark.

I think I've said elsewhere that I've been on a fairly crazy journey with kit this year, tried loads of stuff and gradually refined where I want to end up. I think I will post up where I am now kit wise separately as I do feel like I am pretty much there (apart from a 16" Sumerian of course :-) )

Last night the seeing was average, quite blurry at times, but the views were lovely. The resolution on Jupiter was fabulous and the star images very tight.

I enjoyed using Goto again after quite a long break, just gives you more time observing, particularly when finding things under light polluted skies can take time.

I need to sort my RACI finder, could not get focus with the Orion 20mm so was back with the straight through.....very awkward.

The only negative was the contorted observing positions at times (quiet there Shane!) I need to put the tripod up higher and sort my observing chair out - another half completed project!

Looking forward to the next session.

Stu

Your forum name is getting ever more inaccurate though Stu :wink:

I know John! In many ways I'd just like to keep it but fear I may have to change at some point. Maybe I should ask for suggestions?

Stu

Thanks Michael.

Well I've done the deed and the money is gone!

The owner was very nice to buy from, allowed me the chance to properly test the scope out to make sure I was happy which I am very grateful for. I had little doubt that it would live up to expectations, but you never know...

Took a while before a free night and a clear night coincided but well worth the wait :-)

Can update my signature now, and start thinking of a new name :-)

Stu

Sorry Jules! I'm just a little superstitious and tend not to tempt fate by talking about things incase they don't come off!!

Hopefully this will be coming with me to PSP so if the skies are kind you can have a look yourself :-)

Stu

I wont be at PSP this year Stu

Archived