newbie from sunny Salford

Littlemissmadge

Hello all,well im a busy mum of 3 and am very new to astronomy.Infact I know next to nothing but it fascinates me and as ive got older even more so.My Dad was a massive fan of anything to do with nature and would spend hours watching space programs and gazing through his telescope and id laugh and call it boring,at the age of 21 I was more interested in going out .How I wish I could turn back time and take more of an interest but it must have rubbed off on me because now i'm in a hurry to run out and buy a telescope.I live not too far from Jodrell Bank so suppose a visit there would be a good idea.I want my children to take an interest too so any advice would be great.I have read the sticky on what to expect and it was very informative,sorry for waffling everyone and thanks for reading x

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello and welcome - great to share this hobby with your family, I love it when my kids (and OH) get involved too  :smiley:    Lots of good advice on the 'getting started' boards about scopes, don't be in too much of a hurry as there's lots to consider.  FWIW, my kids use a 150p dob, it's a great scope and the eyepiece is generally at their standing height /mu sitting height so it's easy for us all to use.  Anyway, I hope the clouds clear so you can enjoy your new hobby  :smiley:

Hi,

Good for you! Like you I should have got in to this more seriously years ago, but for lots of reasons didn't. The fastest way to get up the learning ladder and get your family involved is to go to a local star party. These are put on by local clubs and individuals and you will get some expert advice and see some amazing stuff. Hopefully, someone local to you will respond and let you know when the next event is happening.

I remember when I was a teenager going to a star party in the centre of town (Scarborough) and a chap called John showed us many interesting sights, the best by far was Saturn, it just seemed to hang there in the eyepiece, pity it took me 30 years to buy my own kit and see the sight again.

Robin

Hi there and welcome to SGL. Best to read up, research the forum and decide what exactly interests you before you rush out and buy a telescope. Plenty of experienced and friendly people to help you here.

Edit - Forgot to suggest you visit your local astro club for assistance and advice as well

Welcome to SGL, if you want to meet like minded astronomers in Salford why not visit Salford Astronomical Society! All of our events, meetings and contact info can be found on our website at www.salfordastro.org.uk

Darren

@SalAstroSoc & @astronut1639

www.salfordastro.org.uk

Hi, Littlemissmadge, and a warm welcome to SGL!  If you haven't done already I can recommend the free Planetarium software 'Stellarium' which is used by a number of people on here to both find objects in the night sky and to plan viewing sessions. The software is customisable to local conditions (location, light pollution etc) and to individual telescopes - giving you an idea of what you should be able to see through the eyepiece. it is also a great educational tool - especially for children - as they discover what is in the night sky. Downloadable here: http://stellarium.org/

Hope that helps,

Martin

Archived