Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

MicroFocuser for SCT

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all, I was just about to post a topic asking how easy these are to fit? I have a CPC 925 and I'm not big on the idea of taking my gorgeous scope to bits. Any " don't do's" to bear in mind? I'm looking to pick up this model ASAP to help with Planetary imaging :-)

Thanks all

Andrew

I fitted one to my 8SE last night and it was surprisingly easy :).  A CD comes with the focuser which contains a video on what to do, which is very useful, although I am sure that u tube would have examples as well.  The only bit which I found difficult was getting the existing rubber focuser off the scope.  This took a bit a jiggling, but I think I was just being too careful and it just needed a good tug.  Once installed I was nervous that I had done it wrong as I had to turn it for ages to get it into focus on the moon, but once in focus, it works great :).

NB.  Not difficult, but just annoying is the alan key which they supply is a bit rubbish as it is too short so when tightening the screws, you can not spin it round and have to do it by half turns.  This means a job which could of taken 1 minutes, actually takes >5 minutes, not a big issue, just annoying as if they had made the key 1 inch longer life would have been so much easier.

I think this focuser will help if you're having trouble getting fine focus at high mag. I really love using mine for focusing on the Moon when imaging at about 5,000mm focal length. I'm getting away without using a motorised focuser at the mo as it only needs a light touch on the focuser to nudge the focus that little bit.

I find a Bahtinov mask essential when using my C9.25 and costs a few quid - even free it you make it yourself.  Just get the focus spot on with the BM, and it stays there for an hour at least.  Essential IMO for planetary viewing where the focus needs to be spot on.

Thanks to cloudy weather, tonight is the first chance I've had to try it.

The movement of the focuser is so free and easy, getting sharp focus is simple. The fine focuser is excellent for that last little adjustment. Looking at Jupiter tonight, using fine focus at x235, I was able to get a crisp black disk on the shadow transit - perfect.

Expensive it may be, but it's just become my favourite piece of kit.

Been thinking about adding 1 to my cpc800, it is difficult to tell from photos, but how far do they protrude from the back of the scope they look much longer than the standard focuser.

I have had mine for just over a year and when I shelled out for it my thoughts were 'it better be good!' - and it hasn't disappointed. Essential for planetary work as you can get really fine focus without 'bumping' the image all the time.

The Microfocuser on my Edge 8 sticks out about 7.5 to 8cm from the back plate of the scope. Perhaps they look much longer because they are much thinner?

Been thinking about adding 1 to my cpc800, it is difficult to tell from photos, but how far do they protrude from the back of the scope they look much longer than the standard focuser.

Okay, I am liking my MicroFocuser alot :grin:, but I am soon to be getting a camera to go in the back of my 8SE with the hope of taking some web-cam shots of Jupiter, Saturn & the moon.  Is there a reasonably priced auto focuser which can be attached to the MicroFocuser so that I can focus the scope while sat in-front of my laptop?

Okay, I am liking my MicroFocuser alot :grin:, but I am soon to be getting a camera to go in the back of my 8SE with the hope of taking some web-cam shots of Jupiter, Saturn & the moon.  Is there a reasonably priced auto focuser which can be attached to the MicroFocuser so that I can focus the scope while sat in-front of my laptop?

Why don't you try making one? Don't think you will be able to use it on both focusers though.

http://emediadesigns.com/focuser/

• 2 weeks later...

I just used my new FeatherTouch Crayford on the CPC1100 to look at the Sun (also for the first time). So much easier to get a sharp focus and I'm very pleased with the new toy :smile:

Crayford focusers increase the length required for the light path. Therefore the mirror is further up the tube reducing the effective size of the mirror as the main mirror light cone is now larger than the size of the secondary.

Micro focuser is the way to go. The C9.25 mirror movement is very smooth with no flop.

If you are doing deep sky photography then you will need an off axis guider. That will compensate for any minor mirror movement during the exposure.

I've found the stock focuser to be pretty good & as its obsy based holds focus well night after night. However, as I do mostly remote AP I just couldn't resist this Moonlite setup with their brand new Rotator which arrived this week. The reducer fits inside & the whole thing is so smooth & well made.. a thing of beauty :smiley: (excuse the temporary wiring mess)

post-11176-0-91355000-1396094845_thumb.j

• 3 years later...

digging this old thread up...i see that there are no disgruntled customers. 

doing visual only. i am using baader clicklock visual back and 2 in diagonal (so not the sct type)...would it clear feathertouch focuser on my evo 8?

Archived