Greetings from a returning newbie

Ginando

Hi all. I'm Jim. I have recently retired from the Police and am looking to resurrect my interest in astronomy as part of my new found freedom.

I acquired a Bosch and Lomb Professional 560 way back in 1999, and while I know it's not up to much, it gave me lots of fun albeit blumming cold fun up here in Moray. Pressure of work and shifts meant I let this hobby lapse and I instead took up metal detecting, which I still do.

However, with regard to nighttime activities, recently I was persuaded by my youngest son to literally dust off the old scope. I cleaned the mirrors and collimated it based on some excellent videos on youtube. I also acquired a couple of decent lenses and an adapter to allow me to use 1.25 inch lenses in what is a 0.965 device.

Anyway, I was again blown away by the views of the moon, and not too shabby views of Jupiter, plus I am looking forward to getting reacquainted with my favourite cluster, the Pleiades. 

The plan at the moment is to keep going with the old B and L just to get back into the swing of things, then I want to invest in something a bit more serious. I also have a notion that I would like to do some photography, but I get the impression thats going to require some new skills I have never tried plus some serious kit.

My other real problem though will be convincing my wife that spending enough for a two week holiday on what she says is a big metal tube, is worthwhile. I may have to be discreet as I was when I bought my metal detector !

I am already so pleased to see that people in the various forums are really helpful, and not arrogant with beginners.

I look forward to picking brains and asking daft questions.

Welcome to the forum Jim - being discreet goes with the territory I'm afraid. I recall the wife's reaction when my scope was delivered and she called me at work to say it took two of them to lift the boxes into the house. - I think pleading ignorance over the size will only work once though - a new approach will be used next time, but I need to give that some thought. Good luck with your scope and clear skies.

Phil

Archived