NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi All

redroost

Hi All,

I have just bought my first scope a skywatcher 130p and managed to assemble it onto the EQ2 mount while still indoors.

Will attemp to try the same outdoors when the weather allows.

Do I need to allign everything with polaris to start with or just point and view. I have never used a scope before it's just something I fancied trying.

I have attache a photo and want to know what the nut I have circled is for and how to adjust it as it is just finger tight at the moment.post-34940-0-32907500-1390491566_thumb.p

And regarding the setup I think it's easiest if you set the latitude on the latitude scale to be roughly right for you, then point the RA axis roughly north and off you go.  The north leg of the tripod may actually be marked with a sticker.

James

Hello - Welcome to SGL

As been said before roughly align your latitude with the scale on the side (dependant where you are but should be around 55)

You will find it easy to align your find while in day light, just take the scope outside and point it at the furtherest object you can see (TV Antenna on a roof) move the scope until you can see it in the centre of the eyepiece and then adjust the screw nuts on the finder until the red dot is pointing at the TV antenna (when I had mine I had to put a spacer down one side to get it in  the right position the screw adjuster alone would not cope) Once you have it aligned them both when you take it out at night and point it roughly at Polaris you should be rough and ready to go, I think the nut is OK finger tight I cannot remember ever doing anything with it when I had mine

Clear skies

Kev 

Welcome to SGL :)

For observing a rough polar align will do.  Find out what your Lattitude is on google and pre set your mount to that then when you go out just point it in the general direction of Polaris and you will be good to go.

Learning how to proper Polar align will help you in the long run and is a neccesity for Astrophotography and once you have your head around how to do it its very simple and takes minutes.

Cant help you with that nut im afraid.

Archived