Hello from Hampshire!!!!!

747pete

Hello everyone,I have followed this site for ages so thought it time to join up! Astronomy has been a passion for as long as I can remember,along with photography.Last year we ventured way up North past Tromso to try and catch the elusive lights,success!! a very long trip,two planes,hire car,paper maps and self catering.We decided to do it before we got any  older!Thats enough for now,I look forward to hearing/talking to you all......................amazing thing this Internet thing...........showing my years!!!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL - Glad that you have found us and that so far the forum has been useful. You were lucky to catch the Northern Lights - Always fancied it but know that it won't happen now.

Hope you put your images up. Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Thanks for the warm welcome,I will put up some images,just from camera on the tripod and wide angle lens.Cold(at least -15 at 3a.m!!) was a real problem with the batteries and I found manual focus and mirror lock up helped.I would do it all again tomorow,if you are thinking of going Norway is expensive but "doing your own thing" will save a huge amount of money.A very good couple of websites....

http://spaceweather.com/

http://polaris.nipr.ac.jp/~acaurora/aurora/Tromso/

as you can see,they are going now as well.

I will post up some images,is there anyway I can put some sort of copyright on them? I would not expect them to get hijacked from here but have read horror stories from the likes of Flickr.

I look forward to picking somegrey matter about coupling the camera body to the telescope with a filter to stop dust getting on the sensor.

Many thanks

Pete

This is a snap I took in Crete last year,quite a tricky site to get to in the dark,over dried up river beds and impressive drops.We did two trips in daylight to get our bearings,amazing night skies.I have reduced the size from 5.8 MB to 800kb so hopefully it will load up.

I look forward to picking somegrey matter about coupling the camera body to the telescope with a filter to stop dust getting on the sensor.

Many thanks

Pete

Hi Pete and a warm welcome to SGL.

I had a similar worry about keeping dust off my sensor so I bought a light pollution filter.   It screws onto a T-adapter which goes into the focuser. You will also need a T-ring for your specific camera, this attaches to the T-adapter. You don't need a lens with this setup as the telescope, once in focus becomes the lens.

Hope this helps.

Archived