Hi from cloudy North Wales

Ryan_B

Hi everyone,

I'm Ryan, I'm currently studying a degree in astronomy and planetary science with the Open University. This is around being a (current) stay at home dad to my 5 month old baby boy and my nine year old daughter, and a husband to be to my amazing partner (who teaches maths, which is a great bonus to me!).

I love astronomy, but it's a futile endavour currently, I average about two nights a month of clear skies. It wouldn't be so bad but as the clear skies began to diminish I got into solar photography, and now it's cloudy practically every day too!

I spend my spare time (HA!) either reading, mainly sci fi (Asimov, AC Clarke, PK [removed word], Haldeman etc) fantasy (Tolkien, Pratchett) or Victorian-or-therabouts era (HG Wells, Jules Verne, Lovecraft, AC Doyle), mountain biking, running, general fitness and strength training, listening to music (mostly black metal but I'm quite broad minded).

Anyway that's enough for now!

Ryan

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the welcomes! My partner was talking to a colleague in the science dept. in the school where she works. He's a keen astronomer and told her that over the last ten years or so, observing has become very difficult, that there seems to be more cloudy nights now than there used to be. I don't know if this is true or not, but I do know that it's nearly impossible to actually get any observing done!

Hi Ryan welcome to the lounge,

good luck with your studies, seems the weather is getting

everyone down at the moment, we need some good frosts,

then you can get the best from both of your scopes, sunny

by day clear at night, fingers crossed it will be soon.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

Here, have another.  Welcome.  Good work on the degree, would love to do something like that.

Nick.

Ha ha, thanks, although I'm only halfway through (in third year, three more to go!). If you really want to you should look into it. I couldn't afford to go to a bricks & mortar uni now, nor would I have the time, however studying through the OU fits around everything (or more realistically I can make everything fit around the OU!)

Ryan

Archived