Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Confusion over a Billion

Ive posted this here not only to help me but I think it may be of some use to others...

So when I attended school a billion was :- 1,000, 000, 000, 000, a million million or 1012

In the US a billion was 1, 000, 000, 000, a thousand million or 109.

Today it seems some deem a billion to be 1012 and some 109, now I realise to scientist ect the meaning of the word is irrelevent as they express numbers 10x, but a lot of astro related text, talks of billions, trillions ect so does any one have a definitive answer...

Is a billion 109 or 1012 ?????

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

English has settled on "short scale" - a million is 106, a billion 109, a trillion 1012 and so on. It became official in Britain in 1974.

Many other languages do use "long scale".

If you want real fun try Canada, where billion in English is 109 but billion in French is 1012.

This is why i talk with SI prefixes if I need to be accurate. In my mind billion is a terasomething ie. 10^12. Unless you are talking to an american. In finland we actually use million, milliard, billion,thousand billion, trillion. I try to avoid using "billion" if there is a chance of misunderstanding. 

This is why i talk with SI prefixes if I need to be accurate. In my mind billion is a terasomething ie. 10^12. Unless you are talking to an american. In finland we actually use million, milliard, billion,thousand billion, trillion. I try to avoid using "billion" if there is a chance of misunderstanding. 

I totally agree with you..

M31`s one trillion stars is very different to us and an American.... :wink:

1 billion to me, is 1 million x 1 thousand.

So: 1,000,000,000

So when I attended school a billion was :- 1,000, 000, 000, 000, a million million or 1012

That looks like a Trillion to me. It looks like 1 billion x 1000.

I know Americans do and say things differently. The would say "fifty three hundred", instead of "five thousand three hundred". 

By any means......................a billion is a lot of light years or cash.

• 4 weeks later...

If you are a banker or a government spender, a billion is petty pocket change, if you are a taxpayer its almost as big as a the distance to Andromeda, and if you are an astronomer, its just the view of a great galaxy.

Phil

If you are a banker or a government spender, a billion is petty pocket change

Reminds me of a comment I came across once, that we refer to large numbers as "astronomical", but considering the values of national debts, GDP, and so, perhaps such numbers would be better called "economical".

It is unfortunate that the word astronomical has been poluted by the size of the national debt, I like to think of the universe as unpoluted still, unlike the infinite spending of the government!  lol :rolleyes:

Phil

Linguistically, it used to make a lot of sense for a billion, (bi-million) to be a million-million etc. now they're just words we give to numbers.  :grin:

But I'll have to check next time I'm out on my bicycle! I used to think the ETX90 was sturdy on its tripod, but now I'm beginning to have my doubts!

Cheers

1 billion to me, is 1 million x 1 thousand.

So: 1,000,000,000

That looks like a Trillion to me. It looks like 1 billion x 1000.

I know Americans do and say things differently. The would say "fifty three hundred", instead of "five thousand three hundred". 

By any means......................a billion is a lot of light years or cash.

Did not that great british band Status Quo sing a song about 45 hundred times? ;)

I have asked this question to my maths college tutor the other week and I can confirm that a billion is a thousand million. With regards to a trillion. Well we didn't get onto that;-) It is probably the national debt of the USA.

Archived