Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I need help!

Jessicaheath92

Hi, welcome to SGL. Could be a focus problem maybe? If you are looking around in daytime and it's ok are you looking at objects relatively close to you? When looking at sky objects you need to focus on 'infinity', if you are looking towards the stars and the scope is badly out of focus you might not see anything at all. Best thing to do is start with the moon, it's bright and easy to find.

Yep second comment above about starting with the moon as it's a big target and will help you focus. With that type of scope you may be limited to the moon and brighter planets such as Jupiter and Saturn really as it has a small aperture. A good patio of binoculars will show you some of the open clusters like the Pleiades well too. Always have bins with your scope :)

Hello Jessica, and welcome to SGL. Don't be put off, I'm sure quite a few of us have had that problem when starting out. I certainly did. I don't know which eyepieces were included with the scope, but you'll be best off starting with the lowest magnification, that is the one with the largest number in mms. Then as said in previous posts, point the scope at the moon if possible and focus up and down till it becomes clear. Then put in the higher mag (smallest number).

If you can't find the moon in the eyepiece, it sometimes helps to take it out and move the scope around till you see brightness appear, then pop the eyepiece back in.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on if we ever get any more clear skies:rolleyes:

ness appear

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Hi Jessica and welcome to the forum. Yes the above comments will certainly help you further and hopefully will do the trick. Don't hesitate to come back to us here if that doesn't work as they will plenty of other suggestions to try. If you haven't done so already, you might want to consider downloading some free planetarium software called Stellarium. many members here use it and one of its great features is that you can calibrate it to show an identical sky to that which you can see from your observation site (e.g garden). There are lots of other features that will keep you occupied for when the clouds come in.

Clear skies for now and hope you enjoy the forum

James

Hi Jessica welcome to the lounge,

the Moon, it's a fantastic target to view, stay with it

for a while, practice focusing with your eyepieces,

you will soon get used to it.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

Archived