Returning to stargazing

Imoti

Hello,

I'm very lucky to live in a Dark Skies Area in Southern Scotland. I used to look at the stars with my Dad a couple of decades ago :) He gave me the bug, I've had the enjoyable experience of watching comets, The Perseids were one of the first that we saw when we moved up from London, our children and us wrapped up in Duvets eyes fixed on the sky :) Now my children are away from home I've treated myself to my first telescope, not a fantastic one but the best I could afford and I hope to get better and better :D

I'm hoping to be able to take some photographs too, fingers crossed as I get more confident.

Thank you for reading 

Imoti

Wishing you clear skies

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Imoti,

So nice to hear you finally have your own scope. They don't need to be fantastic to provide immeasurably better views than your naked eyes can. I'm sure you're going to fall in love with it.

Aaron

Hi and welcome to the forum. As you mention a future desire to do some imaging in your introduction, may I suggest that you take a look at a book by Steve Richards called, "Making Every Photon Count". It is a comprehensive guide on all that you need to know with regards to astrophotography. I am suggesting it to you now because I believe it will afford you the necessary time to obtain a complete overview of the different types of imaging that can be done and the necessary kit that will be required in each to help you produce good consistent images. It is natural in the early stages of researching this area of interest to focus on the 'hardware' side of things that will enable you to collect sufficient 'data' in order to construction a final image but equally, some consideration should be given to the "software" side of things that will help process the collected data and thereby tease out as much detail as possible to further enhance the final image. This book will certainly help you with all of these considerations so that you can decide on how far you want to go with it all which in my view makes the book essential reading for anyone considering astrophotography.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy the forum.

James 

Hi and welcome to SGL.  What a wonderful thing to do, watch comets from your duvets. When we first moved to the outskirts of Coventry 13years ago, there was little light pollution here and we saw an amazing comet display. Never seen it since!  Time to travel north!  Enjoy your new scope!

Archived