NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Do you remember your first time?

I remember my first time I was 16 the night was cold and clear I got the lady out the car and placed her on the drop down tailgate. Slowly tilting her upwards I inserted my 32mm, and got the most amazing view of the full moon. Took my breath away.

Sorry bit to far.

At the time I spent so long looking for a telescope, sizes, makes, types. Then my parents bought me a basic cheap scope from the local camera shop (something I wouodf have never bought). Soon realised it wasn't the scope that mattered it was the thrill of the hunt so to speak. Locating the object setting things up and actually viewing. I have learnt that you can have the smallest scope and one eye piece and you will find and see a something that a large number of other people will never really appreciate or see as they dont have a scope.

The moon got me started... My son was doing his Cub's astronomy badge and had to look at the moon through either Bino's or a scope. Just looking through a pair of 7x35's through the window showed such a dramatic change that I got hooked.

I agree, if you want a lunar challenge, go for the Lunar 100. If you're only going to be viewing the moon, you really don't need a moon filter... get a camping lantern instead, that way you can view, read books, take notes and sketch without worrying about dark adaption. 

I sure can. Was the first proper thing I looked through with my first scope. Was absolutely amazed. Back then, I used to get excited each month as the moon got fuller :) ahhh, where did that naivety get to??

Seriously though, I still love viewing the moon. So many amateur astronomers wish it away every month when it really can be the most awesome thing to view and study!!

My first time was the 11th Jan (last Saturday) got to see the moon and Jupiter. Seeing Jupiter's bands and 4 moons was a real 'wow' moment for me and one I'll never forget.

Not had a chance to get out since (Grrrrrr! British weather)

Of the Moon, yes absolutely - and I remember being nearly blinded by its brightness. Needless to say a variable filter purchases asap. Amazing sight, I love the shadows cast from the craters and ridges that change over time. The view through bins is great, but once you point a telescope at it, wow it's amazing.

1976 - Moon - 3inch scope - top of a chicken coop - hot summer night....there was nothing better to do.....LOL

(channelling Captain Mainwaring there...:-)

First saw it through a scope last November.  I was distraught.  It was the most horrible shock of my life.  Just craters, riles, shadows, rocks, deserts, .....  in that instance all my dreams were shattered  :eek:

I haven't felt so sick since some idiot sonared Loch Ness.  

No man in the moon, not even mice eating cheese  :sad:

Well if that's what you get from looking too close you can be sure I'm never going to Lapland  :evil:

ok I'll get my coat.

actually, unfortunately no not really it would have been around 1980 i guess :eek:  bit while on the subject i showed my daughters boyfriend the moon through my superb C9.25 (the views are amazing) the response was, well less than enthusiastic, its nice to hear the exciting posts on here and learn that not everybody from the hubble generation expects hubble type views from earth! 

My 9 year old son got his first telescope the other day and didn't realise how much I'd become hooked myself. Myself and my two boys are loving exploring the moon. It's funny because I didn't think I'd like it myself but thinking of buying my own telescope now too. It's so good to hear the kid's excitement. Amazing.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Tapatalk

It was sometime in august last year. Couldn't believe the detail I could see. Took afocal snaps with the phone, and my friends and family are still amazed at what can be seen, even if I haven't persuaded them to look at them in person yet. Damn the British winter.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived