Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello everyone

Little Big Planet

Hello everyone.

Yes its another newbie to SGL. To start off i thought i would give a list of things about myself and my 1st telescope.

Ok here goes

Name, Lee

Age, 25 - 30 lol

Location, Yorkshire UK

Telescope, Jessops TA1100-102 Configuration: Newtonian Reflector 
1100mm Focal length 
102mm objective diameter 
Red dot finder scope 
3x Barlow lens supplied 
6mm, 12.5mm & 20mm eyepieces included 
Maximum magnification of 400x 
Including tripod & counter balance weights 
Micro adjustment control 

Ok now about the scope i received this as a christmas gift from my partner who knows nothing about telescopes or astronomy or anything like that. Same can be said about me also tbh lol

Anyway when i opened this gift i was like a little child again the joy and excitement i felt was brill knowing finally after YEARS of saying i want to buy a telescope and look at the moon etc was now going to be a dream come true.

Now moving on to my 1st view through my scope. ( jumping in at the deep end thinking i know it all ) 

I set up the scope with no hassle in the attic bedroom which has a window that opens fully.
I Then proceed to place the 20 mm eyepiece in and look into it and see nothing although i forgot to mention i was or at least thought i was aiming at Jupiter through the finder scope. Turns out it wasn't aligned 

Then not long after christmas day i found you guys n girls!!! I would quickly like to say a thank you to all of you because in such a short time i have learned some good tips and great advice also just found that reading some of the posts from other beginners and sharing there 1st WOW experiences was wonderful. ( After all the frustrations ) eg, focusing, light pollution, CLOUDS!!!!!!!!!!!!! and my favorite not removing the cap ends lol We all do or have these moments.

So after reading up about telescopes and not seeing anything i find a link to this site about how to align the red dot. easy to follow guide and a big thank you to whoever it was.

Then night time came again really excited i went up into the attic opened the window saw jupiter was in view so i put the red dot over jupiter looked into the scope brought it into focus and was amazed! for the 1st time in my life i was looking at a planet in better detail than the naked eye and I could see the 4 galilean moons, it just just blew me away. At this point i didn't see any detail on Jupiter itself.

Then came a few nights of cloudy skies during these nights i was mostly on SGL where i found out my scope did not receive many positive views some of which i agree with but some not. Main reason being if i did or then again if my partner did pay £179.99 for the scope it would have been returned for a full refund and i would have waited until my birthday and used the money towards a better scope. money being an issue for me and getting the better scopes. BUT my partner paid £79.99 for the scope in a sale and as for last nights viewing i would like to say its more than a bargain for a newbie on a tight budget. Also this is when i read all the posts by you guys n girls and got all the hints tips advice and just good reading so again a big thank you!!

So after reading advice on how to use my scope properly i decided to take my scope outside in the garden to cool and let my eyes adjust to the dark and although light pollution was a problem it was better than being indoors with heat and the lamp post just outside the window. After being outside for around 35 mins i popped in my 20mm eyepiece and got jupiter in my sight. the difference in the brightness was amazing!! then after a while i placed the 12.5mm eyepiece in and could not believe my eyes i could see 2 of the bands/stripes on jupiter i looked at this for around 30 mins in amazement but then proceeded to talk to my partner about it for ages, she does not share my enthusiasm about the universe but i believe she was happy to see the gift she got me gave me so much joy. 

Ok folks i am going to try wrap it up because i know i ramble on. So thank you to anyone who managed to read this post without getting to bored i look forward to speaking with you all and reading more of your posts and viewing your images. 

Cheers. Lee 

CLEAR SKIES!!!!!  

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Lee and welcome.

I'm new too.

You'll find (as I'm sure you've already read) plenty of friendly/knowledgeable folk around these parts.

Great little read you've put out there.

thanks n Yeah i have read loads of helpful things already there seems to be a lot of people willing to give you there time to help you out. And as for my post thanks for the comment on a nice read i have more to say but i ramble on so i cut it to as bare minimum as possible. lol.. 

Hi Lee welcome to the lounge,

sounds like you are enjoying your new scope, nice 

introduction by the way, when the Moon is up, and the 

weather cooperates, then you will be amazed.

Good luck and Clear Sky's

Hi Lee welcome to the lounge,

sounds like you are enjoying your new scope, nice 

introduction by the way, when the Moon is up, and the 

weather cooperates, then you will be amazed.

Good luck and Clear Sky's

Cheers Ron.. yeah i am really looking forward to viewing the moon, my scope did also come with a moon filter so i am good to go. The barlow x3 that came with my scope don't really work well on stars and planets but i am hoping it works well looking at the moon. 

Archived