Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Yet another newbie

Green Ninja

Hi,

I'm Terry from Worcestershire and have just signed up.

I've been researching these forums for a couple of months now trying to glean all the info I can on a good starter scope.

The interest started about 3 months ago when, on a clear night, I looked into the heavens and spotted a really bright ball of light. I looked on my iPad app "Skymap" and it told me it was Jupiter.

I told the missus and she came out and looked with me with our naked eyes.

She suggested I went into the loft and setup her 40 year old 60mm no name refractor she used as a child and "give it a go"

To cut a long story short, after inserting the 10.5mm eyepiece into the scope and finding Jupiter I was amazed that we could actually make out the diagonal bands and see 3 moons! I called Sharon (my better half) and she too was entranced by the sight.

So, hence the research as if we could see that much with a "toy" scope what could we see with a proper one?

Just looking on Ebay until the weekend. If we don't see a bargain we will hopefully be ordering a Skywatcher Skyliner 200p Dobsonian from FLO next week and cannot wait.

Luckily it also appears we only have to drive 10 miles west and we will be in proper dark sky country too.

Watch this space.

Cheers for now,

Terry.

Welcome Terry !! What a super introduction, sounds like you and your wife will enjoy many hours looking to the heavens. Good luck with your new scope - A retailer is a good place to buy from for their customer service. FLO has a very good reputation on here if you have any problems with a product you buy from them.

I only take pictures I'm afraid, so can't help you on any visual stuff !

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hi Terry,

From one newbie to another, welcome.

I was graced with a SkyWatcher BK1309 EQ2 as a gift for Christmas 2013. As a first scope, to me this seem like the best thing since sliced bread. I don't have a motor attached, feel like I want the thrill of the hunt.

Craig.

I'm a newbie to and i've only had one good night with my new telescope but I was using Skywatcher Skyliner 200p Dobsonian and I was looking at Jupiter and I can tell you that I got some amazing views of the planet and its moons. The skywatcher 200p Dobsonian is a good choice

Hi Terry and welcome to the forum. Don't underestimate having the other half as keen on astronomy as you are, especially in the future when you might develop a taste for expensive eyepieces!  :grin:  :grin:

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

Just looking on Ebay until the weekend. If we don't see a bargain we will hopefully be ordering a Skywatcher Skyliner 200p Dobsonian from FLO next week and cannot wait.

Watch this space.

Cheers for now,

Terry.

Great choice.........check your PM's

Archived