NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi there from Blackpool !

smartybones

Hi there,

I have always had a interest in what's up in the skies ever since i was a kid reading about the Apollo missions. The Moon and Jupiter always had a particular fascination, the Moon in particular because of how much it directly affects out lives.  

I have never owned a telescope, I had heard of people using binoculars, but again, never owned a pair that were suitable for sky watching.  A few months ago, I spotted in the local "cash converters" (other second hand shops are available) what looked like a nice looking reflector telescope.  Quickly snapped a picture on my camera and posted on facebook that it would be nice to get this for xmas.  A week or so later it had gone.

Now I am a big baby when it comes to xmas and like to find out what the missus has got me, but this year, funds were a little tight after our daughter had driving lessons and a car (insurance is so expensive), so I said not to bother getting me anything.  I had no idea the wife had been around to the shop and got me the scope.... so surprise surprise on xmas day I was the proud new owner of a Skywatcher  pro series 150mm Maksutov-Cassegrain in a nice aluminium case with a couple of eyepieces.

Now I cant wait to get out on a clear night to have a look........ the only thing is I don't have a mount and funds are limited.

Marty.

post-34030-0-60347800-1388154467_thumb.j

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Marty and welcome to SGL, nice scope you have. I am probably being rather ultra cautious here, but I don`t think I would try any type of lash up with a camera tripod, unless, of course, it is one of those heavy duty movie camera types. Any accident and you just might end up with a damaged scope, or at the worst no scope at all. Best to wait and obtain an Alt/Az or equatorial mount to suit. However, to the ridiculous. In my anxiety, quite a few years ago, I was once in a similar situation, so I packed the garden picnic table with cushions, so I could have first light, it was quite safe, but to what ends you will go, to have your first view of one of our major celestial bodies. Enjoy your new scope :)   

Many thanks for the warm welcome from you all.

As a semi pro photographer, I do have a few tripods, none though would take the weight of the scope. Not with any degree of  safely anyway. I have waited an aeon for a scope and don't really want to have it broken or smashed to bits due to a lack of willingness to wait, at least for a short time.

I have decided on a home made mount, I have a good idea now of what I am going to make, It will be a good learning process, not only making it, but in using it to find my way around the sky.

Marty.

am probably being rather ultra cautious here, but I don`t think I would try any type of lash up with a camera tripod, unless, of course, it is one of those heavy duty movie camera types. Any accident and you just might end up with a damaged scope, or at the worst no scope at all.

As a semi pro photographer, I do have a few tripods, none though would take the weight of the scope. Not with any degree of safely anyway. I have waited an aeon for a scope and don't really want to have it broken or smashed to bits due to a lack of willingness to wait, at least for a short time.

I wasn't actually thinking of Blue Tack and cable ties. More a suitable bracket!

Sent from my ZT ICS using Tapatalk 4

lol, yeah, It would need a little more than bailing twine and spit..

The problem is more with the panheads on a photographic tripod. They have a hinge to flip the camera over from landscape to portrait and doubt the hinge will stant up to any sort of strain. Plus the legs are extruded aluminium which are a little thin.... I have to hang a heavy camera bag under it to get any sort of stability.. even taking long exposure shots for night time scenes or moving water effects I have to use a remote shutter release as the tiny bit of movement from pressing the button on the camera will slightly blur a picture. Its perfectly fine for every day photography but a 7kg load... no way....

I think by the time I spent stiffening the legs and securing it to the pan head, time would be better spent making a whole mount from wood....

"I think by the time I spent stiffening the legs and securing it to the pan head, time would be better spent making a whole mount from wood".

Marty, if you are into DIY you can make a very substantial wooden tripod which will more than suit your scope, however, if time is of essence, you can search the Bay under Surveyors tripods, which are quite substantial, for between £25 and £50. It is then only necessary to obtain a mount head and scope rings and you will have a good solid setup. Best of luck :)

Hi Marty and welcome from me too.....nice scope, I s'pose you could always hold it but it's a pain keeping the image still in the viewfinder!!! I'm sure the mount will come, in my relative inexperience the mount is as important as the tube. Happy viewing when you're up and running.

Lee

Archived