Oops! Hello...

Savo83

I jumped straight in with a couple of topics without saying hello first ;)

Been fascinated with all things astronomy related and then finally a year after moving into my own house with the girlfriend, bought my first scope!  It's a little ETX 80 but to me it's an absolute powerhouse and I've had great fun with it but sadly, it's away for repair and might not be coming back. :(

I live just outside Glasgow, Scotland and have a decent experience with observing from my back garden.  Outside my back garden, there's a small road that leads over a small bridge and a couple of the street lights are out.  This works wonders as it's elevated higher above me with trees blocking out the other active lights leading to a very dark patch of sky.  Being in an urban location, this is very good news and hopefully it continues through the winter!

I'm currently planning for the worst so I'm looking at picking up either a 127SLT or a 4SE (feel free to help me out in the threads I started if you wish!)

So anyway,  hello everyone :)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to SGL!

Good news about the street lights - hope nobody complains about them being out!  :grin:

Not so good news about the scope! Hope things work out. I know a few people on here have a 127 and get good results from it. I used to have a Skymax 102mm Mak and it was really good until I got aperture fever and upgraded to the C8.

Haha, thanks very much.  There are 4 on the bridge and the two that are out are the ones in the middle so there's plenty of light given of the end posts.  You can barely notice so I doubt anyone will complain (fingers crossed!).

Haha, thanks very much.  There are 4 on the bridge and the two that are out are the ones in the middle so there's plenty of light given of the end posts.  You can barely notice so I doubt anyone will complain (fingers crossed!).

Definitely. [ comment removed ] :angel:

Thanks all :)

Welcome. The street light right outside my house was not working for a while and it improved my skies no end. Since it was fixed I have been trying to get the local council to turn it off but getting nowhere. Lots of lights in the town are off to save money - why not mine?

Welcome. The street light right outside my house was not working for a while and it improved my skies no end. Since it was fixed I have been trying to get the local council to turn it off but getting nowhere. Lots of lights in the town are off to save money - why not mine?

Quite right.  The road by my house can serve as an example; there's no need for as many lights on the passover as with the two of them out, there is still plenty of coverage. It's a short walk to my home from the train station and I always check to see if the lights are still out but I need to wait till I'm very close to the estate before I get a clear picture as there's that many.

It's total overkill.  I wish I could use this as an example as to why they're not necessary but they'll just agree in principal then switch them on the next day.

They should be looking at reducing artificial lights in all areas. They are not necessary in such great numbers especially outside major built up areas.

Rant over! :)

Oh well, it had to happen.  After all my initial happiness about bragging the street lights have been out, they're now on.  I've included a photo of my pain :(

Yes, the two in the middle on the right.  The second one practically right in front of my back garden and when they were both off, I had a great view over the trees at open sky. Sad times.  Ah well, that's Karma for you. 

11468071166_6dcdb0b354_z.jpg

Archived