NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Complete Noob.

Dale

Hi everybody. :D

My name is Dale and I live in South West Scotland, though I am originally from South Wales. I'm no astronomer but I have a keen interest and I got a Tasco Luminova scope off Santa. :rolleyes:

I haven't really had a chance to use it in anger as we have had very few clear skies since Christmas but I have used it for some terrestial viewing, just to get used to the scope. 8)

I'm still trying to work out which Barlows and eyepieces to use so I will be listening to your advice and asking plenty of questions.

I'm a professional photographer and I am interested in combining both.

Thanks for looking, all the best,

Dale.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcome, much appreciated.

We got some clear spells here last night but I didn't have much success, I think I need to practice on The Moon before I try the stars. :D

I've been trying to calibrate my finder scope with the telescope which is turning out to be an art in itself but I will get there.

Once again, thanks.

*Dale scurries off to look at the Scotish website thingy.*

Thanks for the further welcomes all. :rolleyes:

Well, I had my first glimpse of the Moon last night and all I can say is, WOW.

I used the erecting lens with a 12.5mm eyepiece and the detail was incredible. I used a Moon filter too but I still need to get a bit more used to moving the scope about as the tiniest of movements and you loose the Moon. I couldn't believe how you could actually see the Moon moving across the frame too, incredible. :D

I tried looking at some of the stars but I need more patience. :rolleyes:

I'm looking for a camera to scope adapter now, anybody got any recommendations?

Thanks,

Dale.

Hello Dale,

I can sense your excitement on your lunar observation description.

The moon is a very rewarding target, and the views change as the phases change, and it is exciting to observe those changes.

I don't wish to dampen your enthusiasm, because that is a very important quality to have. I merely wish to inform you about the use of the Barlow lens supplied with your Telescope. I believe it to be a 3x amplification, and if you use it with your 12.5mm eyepiece, you will get a very similar magnification, as using the 4mm eyepiece on it's own. Don't be tempted to use the Barlow with the 4mm EP, as the chances are you will be disappointed with the result. One seller of this scope, boasted of 675 times magnification with you instrument.

That power could only be reached using the 4mm EP, with the Barlow lens. An impossible magnification for that size of telescope.

A good rule for useful power, is a modest 40x per inch of aperture. On good seeing nights, that can go up to 50x per inch.

Your objective, or mirror, is 112mm in Diameter, almost 4.5 inches. which equates to 180 times mag. and at best 250 times

I think if you stick to these guidelines you will get some great results. There may exceptional seeing, when you can boost those figure a bit. But they are rare in the UK.

I hope this helps you get the best from your astronomy.

Ron.

Welcome to the forum Dale..

As you can see there are lots of friendly people here with good advice... :rolleyes:

The only thing I would like to add is to allow your scope a little cool down time. ie. Allow it to reach the same temperature as it's surroundings, which will improve your viewing..

Good luck and clear skies.. :D

Greg

Archived