Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

100 th session this year !

cotterless45

Lovely comet C/2013 R1 Lovejoy next to sigma Corona Borealis and M13 this very morning.

Caught both in the same fov in my Lidl 8x60 bins. Then a lovely view of the comet in my ancient Vixen 102 on Super Polaris.

A wonderful year of viewing, hope that you have enjoyed a few of my reports and Clear skies,

Old Nick, hurrah !

Set the alarm clock for 5 this morning to catch lovejoy and yet AGAIN been foiled by clouds. This is the 7th time now on this comet, I'm never going to see it at this rate. This hobby can be so frustrating in the UK due to the stupid clouds. So annoyed :(

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

It's been a year of dodging the clouds. Not many long clear nights. Most frustrating has been the frequent coincidence of new Moon and bad weather.

I can't recall the number of times that I've set up , then packed up. My recorded sessions average under 2 a week which doesn't amount to much unless you consider our challenging climate.

What has got me out there are the detailed and challenging reports kindly posted by other observers and see so many wonders,

Nick.

I don't get much chance to have any decent sessions. I work nights and only get Mon/Tue night off. When I'm working it's always clear (or seems too be),come my nights off...guess what OVERCAST. It's the same old story,over and over again. It's very....very frustrating but my passion for the hobby,keeps me going regardless.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

That's very good going, Nick and shows just what is possible. I often feel it isn't always necessary to spend hours and hours under the night sky. A detailed observation of just one of two objects will suffice. Thinking about this a little, the weather/UK situation seems to me a bit of a two-edged sword. I mean, on the one hand, the weather isn't exactly conducive to sunbathing or stargazing but on the other, most folk in the UK have a garden or patio with relative little LP and the chance to set up with ease and view when the chance arises. What is clear is that with the right attitude and dedication that you show, Nick much is possible :icon_salut:

Congratulations cotterless45

As this is my main hobby I make the effort at every opportunity & have managed 80 sessions this year. My most recent being last week where the sky behaved from 7pm to 2am & I viewed 22 galaxies & many other dsos. Fantastic. Some early mornings too for Lovejoy & Ison. Great rewards can be had by taking every opportunity to a least try. 

I have done 46 sessions since April.  That's not bad.  Mind you, between December 2012 and start of April I managed 5 sessions and observed at every opportunity it was clear bar one.  It was diabolical last winter with constant cloud.  Sad for newcomers.  Let's hope for better this winter!

Archived