Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Heritage 130p, it followed me home....

As my entire astro kit will soon (well kind of...) be entirely moving over to Germany, I was going to be left with nothing here.

Was thinking of replacing my auto-guided EQ1, but wasn't ready to spend again hundreds, like in the Astrotrac or Vixen Polarie system.

Here's what I got myself today:

normal_heritage130p.jpg

It's a second hand one, bought less than a week ago by somebody who returned it for something bigger.

Got it for a good discounted price, due to no box. It's in excellent condition, well it's kind of almost brand new.

I went for this one as I just want something that I can grab and go out to look at something on a nice crisp cloud free night.

No messing about with electronic nor computer, just point and look :D

Read so many good reviews about this entry scope, and I'm quite surprised how easy it is to move it about.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's  cracking scope If I may say. I thought that when I got my 10 inch Dob  recently, that the 130p would not see light nearly as much as it has done, it still gets used just as much. I often end up using both on the same night, when the 130p had dewed up, the 10 inch is ready to follow, but sometimes the 10 inch does not even make it out of the house once I start with the 130p. :smiley:

a dumb question for you all, how much cool down time would such scope need before I can start observing?

There's no set time, Its what you perceive. You can start  with  Long focal length EPs almost straight away. Its when you go to higher magnifications, that the effects of thermals and shimmering are more notable.

I've never timed it exactly in that scope. Usually I start low power and by the time I am into the session it has cooled, say 20 minutes perhaps it is mostly there, that would not be unreasonable I think for this scope, depending how warm it is coming out of the house and bringing it out into the colder air.

One way to test it is to look at an out of focus airy disk after a while and see where you are with it, thermals such as tube currents can be seen that way. Tube currents caught me out a few times when I was observing near a wall in my backyard, presumably due to the colder air near the walls creating temperature gradients, and I found out that even a good bit into the session I had a good old stubborn  tube current in there. The first time I encountered this, in spite of collimation I was not pleased with the views and wondered why, then I learned about it, quite nicely discussed here :smiley:

http://www.backyardastronomy.com/Backyard_Astronomy/Downloads_files/Appendix%20A-Testing_1.pdf

I love my Heritage 130p, Usually takes between 20-30 mins to fully acclimate. The only gripe is the slack in the helical focuser but a little ptfe or grease soon sorts it out. I have never had any problems with the truss or smoothness of operation and the collimation is never too far out even after being transported in my motorbike helmet box. I have seen a thread on using a longer centre bolt and attaching it to a tripod and can be found here.

Hi all.  Could I ask a question please from all you Heritage 130 owners ?

It looks like the tube attaches to the mount with a dovetail.

So the question - is the dovetail the same as the standard Skywatcher / Vixen one ?    If it is, the tube would fit directly to my Astro-Tech Voyager alt-az mount.

Thanks in advance, Ed.

I now need to think about making an adaptor to mount it on my EQ3-2 aluminium tripod.

The Heritage 130P should go directly onto the EQ3-2 mount via the Vixen dovetail on the side :).

Hope you enjoy it, I certainly did when I first got mine :D.

It's not going on the EQ3-2, but on the tripod ;)

Well, that is a different matter. I suppose you could find something, but you would probably need more than one adapter. Any particular reason it's going straight on the tripod rather than the mount itself?

I can't see myself crawling on the floor to look through the eye piece ;)

The all scope+mount will be seating on top of the tripod, I think someone up there has done it.

There may be someone. I quite like the AZ4 and the Heritage, a little expensive though if you don't already own the AZ-4 ;).

I quite like the AZ4 and the Heritage, a little expensive though

Isn't it?

Here the Nexstar SLT Goto mount (€199) costs as much as the Az4 (191€/228€ for the new version!), and the Sky-Watcher Az Synscan Goto isn't much more expensive, either.

Strange.

Just had a very first quick light with this scope with about 50% cloud cover and WOW this little scope is amazing for the size.

First target: Jupiter.

You could clearly make up the bands, colours were crisp. I didn't use the supplied eye pieces, I used my BST ones (from Sky's the Limit) 5mm and 8mm.

Can't wait until I build my tripod adaptor as my Black&Decker folding work table is soooo wobbly.... lol

I have to adjust the red dot finder as it's way out, and I might need to get myself a collimation tool to be sure the scope is properly collimated.

I will also make a shroud for it, it needs one. As for the focuser, I need to smooth it out, it's a bit too rough for my liking.

I really don't regret my £100 purchase, another good bargain.

Archived