NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Your object nemesis?

Mike73

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

without a doubt - M101.  :BangHead:    I don't think it actually exists at all; its just some cruel joke played by Monsier Messier 300 years ago.

M101 was mine too for a while, at my local "dark" site the northern horizon always has a bit of LP from my town making M101 seem invisible. At my in-laws way up in Caithness where its really dark, M101 pops into view easily with 10 x 50 binoculars!

The constellation Monoceros. I think there was this conversation...

"There's a big gap in the charts near Orion. What should we put there?"

"Just make something up!"

"Like what?"

"Um... How about a unicorn? We've plenty of dogs and birds, and even a spider, but we're short on horses. Apart from Pegasus. A winged horse, so how about a horned one?"

"What about Equuleus?"

"And how exactly is a line between two stars a horse? No, say it's a unicorn."

"Or what about the Rocking Horse Cluster?"

"No, say it's a damn unicorn. They're not real, and nobody has ever seen one of those either..."

More seriously, I reckon the usual ones - M1, M33 and M101.

M101 was mine too for a while, at my local "dark" site the northern horizon always has a bit of LP from my town making M101 seem invisible. At my in-laws way up in Caithness where its really dark, M101 pops into view easily with 10 x 50 binoculars!

Thanks Lorne. Good to know. Perhaps you could call your inlaws for me and tell them I'll be there tomorrow....   :laugh2: 

Biggest frustration for me was years ago at my clubs dark site. One of our members had his 20" Dob aimed at the Horsehead Neb in Orion, using the proper filter. He called over "got the Horsehead ! "  Two of us trotted over for a view. The second viewer spotted it after a description of exactly where to look.  I was next up, and despite multiple tries, I was unsuccessful.

GUTTED was an understatement..........

Regards, Ed.

Haha Ed. I'm sure there are thousands of people that have been just as gutted at not being able to glimpse the elusive nag! Me being one of them. Funny, my first scope was a 5" reflector with GOTO and I was always disappointed when I punched it into the controller and saw NOTHING. That was until I read just how difficult it is to see, particularly in a 5 inch scope from suburbia... Haha.

I must say, I was very excited a few weeks ago to see it very clearly from the suburbs using a video camera attached to my 3" refractor. It was very rewarding, but has far from allowed me to comfortably tick it off the list. I think seeing it visually through an EP will be the only thing that allows me to do that. And what a moment that will be!! :)

Got to be those pesky Messiers down in the depths of Sagittarius . However I did get M79 on Wednesday night to bring my total Ms to 80. We were at a cottage for a few days with a clear view to the south. Having debated with myself where best to position the scope to miss trees etc I managed to put it where M79 was right behind the cottage itself! I decided not to have the hassle of moving it so I waited for it to sneak out, which it eventually did just after midnight.

Having only started collecting in April/May I now need the Virgo galaxies but that will still leaves those tricky blighters down South where my view is poor. Going to have to find a dark site on the south coast somewhere.

Kerry

The Crescent Nebula for me. I've tried lots of times under otherwise excellent conditions but not a wisp. I'll keep trying though....

Are you trying with a filter? I find my O-III really helps with this object. Dark skies are a must obviously.

Are you trying with a filter? I find my O-III really helps with this object. Dark skies are a must obviously.

I try with both OIII and UHC lumicons. I even failed to glimpse the Crescent Nebula on a night when  i could make out a patch of nebulosity between Pickerings Wisp and the northern tip of the Eastern Veil. I thought i was going to get a peek that night but alas....

M110 is my nemesis.

I've managed to see M31 &M32 quite a few times, but every time M110 has eluded me.

I now have a 10" Dob, and have only looked at M31 once (I've only used it twice), but STILL I didn't manage to see M110.

I WILL see it.

I WILL!

D.C

M33 for me. I have been trying in binoculars for two years and just cannot get it!

Try a darker sky.

M33 has quite low surface brightness which can be easily washed out in Suburban skies. Once you have spotted it, you'll know what to look out for if you try again on your usual observing patch. :)

Dark skies show these elusive targets so bright and clear. Unless you've sat miles from civilization it is difficult to describe , I think it's more emotional than descriptive.

I've got a few southerly nemesis Messiers to go. Looks like a trip down south for M4, M6, M7, M8, M54, M55,M68,M69,M70,M80 and M83.

Nick.

Possibly an odd one: Any of the major meteor showers.

Do not a nice heavy shower but to just see a few of one of them.

The recent Geminids are about average, not had a clear night from about Dec 4th or 5th and there has yet to be a clear sky. In that time the watchable period started, peaked and has now died off.

The catch is for the last 3 or 4 years this has been normal, every shower has been accompanied by sufficent cloud to block the total period of it. One local club I notice no longer advertises that it is off meteor watching when any are due, so I assume they have also dropped the idea for the same reason.

Archived