Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I have rarely seen it so clear. Stunning

lancerde

Its minus 2 here and so clear it has taken my breath away. The milkyway is very well defined even standing a few meters from the street lights. Cassiopeia is almost lost in the star field.  I have just been outside with my cheap binos and it was stunning. The pleiades were beautiful and M31 clearly visible. There is also a lot of meteor activity. One in particular was spectacular. Very bright and falling slowly to the south east horizon. Just thought I would share. Truly beautiful. 

JC

Its minus 2 here and so clear it has taken my breath away. The milkyway is very well defined even standing a few meters from the street lights. Cassiopeia is almost lost in the star field.  I have just been outside with my cheap binos and it was stunning. The pleiades were beautiful and M31 clearly visible. There is also a lot of meteor activity. One in particular was spectacular. Very bright and falling slowly to the south east horizon. Just thought I would share. Truly beautiful. 

JC

You have just described the wonder of astronomy in a few words...... It's why we do it.

Simon

Set up and aligned at 5, then it slowly went downhill, now it's clearing again.

Just seen what appear to be 2 small fireballs at 8.45 hurtling down parallel , one after another . Low in the north , was looking at ST1044 in Lynx at x48, right down the fov with wide smokey trails,

Old Nick.

Looks quite nice here.  The Milky Way is visible from Cygus low in the north-east through Cassiopeia and down into Auriga.  M31 is naked-eye too.  I've not looked at anything through a scope yet, but after three months of almost unbroken cloudy nights I shall not be complaining (not unless a load of cloud arrives, anyhow :)

James

I've just managed to catch 15 mins outside to look at a very clear Jupiter and, i think, 2 of its moons. Conditions fairly clear here in Birmingham.

My first time out with the scope in a few months and I am looking forward to the cold clear nights!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Very nice here in North Somerset as well  :smiley:

I've managed to spot E & F Trapezium with my 4" refractor which is a sign that viewing conditions are pretty good. Just waiting for Jupiter to clear a pesky conifer  :smiley:

I've just called it a night because things were starting to freeze up and I was having a few equipment niggles.  Not to mention the fact that I have a couple of conference calls tomorrow morning.  The seeing does indeed seem to have been pretty good though.

James

Not bad here too. Using my 6" f10. Managed to get the E component of the trapezium. Jupiter was looking fantastic at x214 (at least now its got higher - not so good earlier this evening), had a great view of Ganymede going behind it. Could even see a hint of a yellow tinge to Io. Could make out colours in the sigma orionis group too, and was able to split Rigel. A nice productive and enjoyable night, but too cold to wait for Sirius to get high enough from my garden to try split that! Frost on the tube when I brought it in. Anyone have any tips for not fogging up my eyepieces when I breath? Even wrapped a scarf round my mouth to try to stop it happening. Otherwise I kept having to turn away from the ep!

Anyone have any tips for not fogging up my eyepieces when I breath? Even wrapped a scarf round my mouth to try to stop it happening. Otherwise I kept having to turn away from the ep!

Keep the eyepieces warmer than the outside temperature if you can Mark. That seems to work.

Any hint of heat helps, even gripping an ep in the hand will give it enough heat.

A splendid night with plenty detail on Jupiter and some lovely splits including a Cepheus triple and another in Andromeda.

Ice on the scope, then demon cloud at 11.30,

Old Nick.

Half the sky was clear here by 11:30; Lovejoy fuzzy centre with a halo (15x70s). By 03:00 (had to get up to let the cat out), the sky had cleared and Lovejoy was now clearly visible as a fuzzy centre with a more fan-shaped tail. Stunning, even with the Moon.

Chris

Archived