Hi from Somerset

David_Pickles

Hello to everyone in the lounge.

I have been an amateur astronomer for about 18 months and have progressively updated/expanded my equipment over that time to meet my passion in astrophotography. I started out with the Sky-Watcher Mak 127 and soon started experimenting with astrophotography, by attaching my Nikon J1 to the scope and imaging the moon and planets. However, I soon caught the bug and upgraded to a Sky-Watcher Explorer 190MN Pro earlier this year. I initially mounted it on a Celestron CG-5 mount, although found that tracking for longer exposures was not that good with such a heavy scope attached, so eventually upgraded to a Sky-Watcher NEQ6 Pro. I also upgraded the camera to a DSLR, which I modded myself by removing the IR cut filter.

Over the past few months I have managed to capture some reasonable images with this setup and my processing skills with Nebulosity 3 and Photoshop CS6 have improved dramatically - have a look here at some of my images on Flikr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/89259683@N04/

However, I have now decided to take a leap into the Cooled CCD world and have bought a used QHY8L which I am just getting to grips with. My latest photo, of the Orion Nebula, was the result of my first light with his new camera and I am really pleased with the result - in particular, the lack of noise in comparrison to my DSLR.

10844322233_ae64c38958_z.jpg
The Orion Nebula (M42) by Judge.pickles123, on Flickr

I am sure that to get the most out of this camera I have a steep learning curve ahead, however, I am looking forward to seeing the results and learning more from the expertise on this forum. I just need some clear skies in the south-west of the UK!

Regards to all,

David

Hi David and welcome to SGL  :smiley:

Thats a lovely image - great result from the 1st use of a camera.

I'm a visual astronomer myself based in North Somerset, so not too far from you I guess.

Hope you enjoy your time here  :smiley:

Welcome to SGL

The last three months do seem to have been particularly poor in the south west (I'm also in Somerset).  I was hoping that the colder weather predicted to arrive this week would clear things a little, but in fact that doesn't appear to be going to happen at the moment.

James

Welcome to SGL

The last three months do seem to have been particularly poor in the south west (I'm also in Somerset). I was hoping that the colder weather predicted to arrive this week would clear things a little, but in fact that doesn't appear to be going to happen at the moment.

James

I agree - looking forward to some crisp clear nights over the coming months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived