Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Greetings from northern WI

Kirscovitch

Hello! I've been interested in space and astronomy for the last year or so now. Just purchased a new telescope and ran across this site while looking up information on astronomy. Hope to get to know all of you and can't wait for my purchase to get here on Tuesday so i can start scanning the skies.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the tips. I am the newest of newbies and just by going over some of the forums I fear I have gotten in way over my head lol. As for tip 1, there's plenty of dark, rural areas around here. One of the pluses of living in the sticks. As for tip 2 I assume you are talking about some sort of printed "maps". I don't have any of those yet. Any suggestions? For tip 3 I have downloaded Stellarium and i have similar programs for my phone and tablet which I know will be more than handy out in the field. I'll answer 4 and 5 together. I just purchased my first scope. It will be here Tuesday and I am super excited to get it. My income is very, very limited but I've been saving bits here and there and decided last week to place an order. It is a reflector telescope. A Nextar 130 SLT. I am hoping I made a fairly educated choice. I really want to see nebulae and galaxies but hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot by not being able to see the planets. I kind of wish I would have ran across this site before I made my choice but oh well. I am sure I can get great advice and tips and learn a lot of new things.

It is an Alt-Az.

http://www.telescopes.com/telescopes/reflecting-telescopes/celestronnexstar130slttelescope.cfm?source=emlmktg&tid=email_747&mktg_eml_address=moseman1976%40hotmail.com

That is what I purchased. Also I have been wondering how cold weather affects reflector scopes. Lately the lows at night have been around 20 degrees F. I'm hoping I don't have to wait till spring to take it out for the first time. How cold is too cold to use a reflector telescope? Some things I've read is that it should be ok in colder temps as long as I don't warm up the scope too fast after I get home. Makes sense I guess but I don't want to take a chance at wrecking something.

And another warm welcome , this time from Australia , great group of people here so don't be shy to wade in with lots of questions .

On you scope , as already said you will see lots thru that 130mm , it will provide years of observing but be ready for a fairly steep learning curve , take your time as the sky aint going any where in a hurry but most of all enjoy .

Brian.

Welcome aboard! I joined this site about a month ago, so much great information and helpful advice on here. I live in Minnesota and am also very new to all this. For now I bought a 114mm Celestron reflector to get started. Hopefully by next summer will get a 10 inch dob, A Zhumell Z10.  I have been having a blast learning where to look, Stellarium is  hugely helpful Sky and Telescope has a great Iphone app that shows the main features of the sky each night. I check it every day. 

Even with my smaller scope I have been amazed at what I can see. The moon being large is encredible. Jupiter is great, can see the moons around it clearly. Even some faint banding. I can make out the Orion Nebula, sort of just a grey blob but still cool. Saw Venus the other night.  I go out all the time when it is really cold, your scope will be fine, just dress warm! Let is sit out there for about twenty minutes before you use it. It has taken awhile to figure out how to use an equatorial mount, I would rather have a dob, easier to point where you want it. My first upgrade will be a better eyepiece.

You will be glad for your dark skies, mine are not bad here but would love be to further out. 

Welcome aboard! I joined this site about a month ago, so much great information and helpful advice on here. I live in Minnesota and am also very new to all this. For now I bought a 114mm Celestron reflector to get started. Hopefully by next summer will get a 10 inch dob, A Zhumell Z10.  I have been having a blast learning where to look, Stellarium is  hugely helpful Sky and Telescope has a great Iphone app that shows the main features of the sky each night. I check it every day. 

Even with my smaller scope I have been amazed at what I can see. The moon being large is encredible. Jupiter is great, can see the moons around it clearly. Even some faint banding. I can make out the Orion Nebula, sort of just a grey blob but still cool. Saw Venus the other night.  I go out all the time when it is really cold, your scope will be fine, just dress warm! Let is sit out there for about twenty minutes before you use it. It has taken awhile to figure out how to use an equatorial mount, I would rather have a dob, easier to point where you want it. My first upgrade will be a better eyepiece.

You will be glad for your dark skies, mine are not bad here but would love be to further out. 

Where abouts in Minnesota are you? I have family that live in Hastings and travel there frequently.

Archived