Hello from New York!!

surchk

Hello!!!

The names surchk.

Very new to astronomy and stargazing. I’m a computer technician by trade and a student going back to school for hvac/facilities management. I am also a car enthusiast as well (Ford and Subaru :grin: ).

I was told the first thing I should do is download and check out Stellarium. I’m in the process of doing so. I’m hoping to learn a lot about stargazing and astronomy here from reading and from the community.

I don’t know much about astronomy, so here's to learning as much as I can from the forums and the materials you have to offer cheers!!! :smiley:  :smiley:

Firstly, welcome to SGL - There's no need to get a telescope, you can do well with a good set of binoculars.

There's loads of information in the beginners section, so pull up a chair, have a read and enjoy your time here.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Wow! Thanks for such a warm welcome everyone!!!

Oh living in New York must be so dreadful, due to all the city lights, you have much light pollution and may not be able to see messier or DSO objects, that's my first statement xd

Second, Advice!

Get a telescope (if you don't have one already)
Bring It to a secluded location, free of city lights and streetlamps that may cause warped views of celestial objects

Enjoy.

Firstly, welcome to SGL - There's no need to get a telescope, you can do well with a good set of binoculars.

There's loads of information in the beginners section, so pull up a chair, have a read and enjoy your time here.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

I wasnt looking to get a teloscope or binoculars yet. I feel like ive still got a bit of research to do especailly finding a place in New York to stargaze. Im located more towards south east in New York in Queens so its not as bad as it would be in Manhattan. Im thinking a short travel towards upstate may be more quiet and should have less light pollution.

Welcome to SGL, Surchk!

I've owned 6 Subarus, including one of the old 360cc 2cyls, though I've been driving a Mitsubishi FTO for the last 6 years.

Yankees or Mets?

Dana

Mets! (I know, regardless of how they did this season still mets)

Though I will not lie I havent been the best baseball fan recently. Im more of a car person than sports, although since football season started I find my self starting to get really into that. My buddy was showing me his fantasy foot ball app on his phone and that really wow'd me. Giants btw. Im aslo a big fan of the Saints, I definitly wanna catch the game with saints and san fran thursday ive got a feeling its gonna be an awesome game.

FTO is an excellent car in my opinion. I was very interested in an Eclipse before I got my 2002 WRX. I decided that being in NY and ill only have access to one car it must be AWD. I used to have a toyota 4runner but I wanted to have something AWD and smaller if possible. The only eclipse that had AWD was the 2nd gen GSX but i was having a hard time finding one.

Archived