Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Salutations SGL! from a newbie

Iced Earth

Hello everyone at SGL!

I'm a complete newbie to stargazing and excited to have found this forum, look forward to learning from all you gurus here!

I decided to purchase some 10x50 bins and a Planisphere to get me going.

My username is the name a rock band I enjoy listening to :)

All the best, Patrick

Hi Patrick and welcome to SGL,

The planisphere and bins will provide an excellent start and help you get orientated, best of luck with starting out and don't hesitate to ask - there's plenty to learn, but some great support and advice herein.

Clear skies - Jake

Thank you all for the very warm welcome :)

Had a moment of madness at 1am this morning, finally noticed some clear skies and headed off to the beach which is a stones throw from my flat.. wow!!! is all I can say :) I was observing around Orion and think I spotted M42, I was pretty gobsmacked at what I could see through my binos. I returned home at 3.15 am, I'm normally sound asleep at this time but i was buzzing!

Also been out this evening and am slowly learning to navigate my around, pretty sure I got my first glimpse of Jupiter around 9pm this evening and also some of it's satellites, and possibly M31 although it looked a bit smudgy.

Visited the local library today and picked up a few books that I will work through.. so much to learn!

Take care folks, Patrick

Archived