NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from a newbie

Carrington

Hello to everyone on what seems like a really friendly & helpful forum.  I look forward to being part of it, although, as my topic title suggests, I am a total newbie.

I've been interested in Astronomy for as long as I can remember but in a vague, 'ooh isn't Sirius looking bright tonight' kind of way rather than an actual getting up off my bum and going stargazing way! :grin:

After seeing a piece about Kielder Observatory on a programme about Northumberland last night, I decided, when I visit the North East just before Christmas, I'm going to see if I can book an evening up there as a way of kicking myself up the aforementioned bottom and getting myself more clued up about the night sky...and the equipment I need to view it.

Sorry for the rambling... :smiley:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL - you've come to the right place for information, there's loads on here and many a friendly face as well to help you with any questions you have.

Enjoy your time at Kieldar - Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hi, Carrington, and welcome to SGL! If you do manage to get up to Kielder and the dark skies there you will have had one beautiful introduction to astronomy! (Providing it is clear, of course!). You cannot beat a dark sky site for viewing. (I'm from Lancashire, and sometimes go to the Lake District or Galloway for my dark site fix!)

Martin

Welcome, Carrinton... If advice/knowledge/friendly banter is what you're after, you've come to the right place.

NB: I'm ok for the banter part, but the advice/knowledge will have to come from other members, I'm afraid! :)

Archived