Hi from a new member in California

Murigius

Hi all,

I'm impressed with what I've seen on this site and am happy to be a new member.

We live across the Bay from San Francisco and have some access to nearby areas where the light pollution isn't so bad.

I've recently retired from teaching and am resuming my love of exploring the night skies. Just bought a pair of Celestron  SkyMaster Giant 15x70 Binoculars with Tripod Adapter … though the adapter isn't strong enough to hold the binocs on a sturdy tripod w/o wiggling. I just found a metal replacement for it :)

I look forward to learning as much as I can about exploring the night skies! Looks like there's quite a bit of useful info here. I'd be interested in knowing if there are any active stargazing groups nearby besides the Eastbay Astronomical Assn.  Thanks!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome. I'm new here myself. I've been into astronomy seriously since 2004, with earlier forays to see the Comets Kohoutec, Halley, and Hyakutake. There's a loose association of Bay Area astronomers called The Astronomy Connection (TAC), that I have viewed with.

I've been volunteering in the National Parks since 2006, showing the Sun and night sky to park visitors.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 running Paranoid Android 3.96.

Welcome Murigius to SGL.. I have a son who lives in Dublin close to San Francisco. Came over last year for the Annular eclipse and Venus Transit had a fantastic time going around the area. I would guess that there quite a few area where the light pollution is not too bad. Hope to visit again in 2014.

Mark

Archived