NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ8 - The Unboxing

Gina

Just had a look and there's an Allen screw that appears to be holding it onto the shaft but I took it out and couldn't shift anything.  Looks like there may be a pin holding it on as well.  Mind you, I haven't looked at the instruction manual yet :D

Thanks Gina, that's appreciated.

Looking at it again it's probably not an issue at all.

On another note, I am surprised that the new mount isn't much taller than the EQ6. It actually looks like it holds the OTA a lot lower.

Steve J

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do not forget to do the mod to the way the clutch lever is attached! I read somewhere that it can hit the dovetail plate.

On the earliest mounts it fouled the motor housing (the clutch lever rotates with the dovetail). In the Ice in Space thread users are reporting that the clutch is rotated to the correct angle on the latest shipments.

Thanks Gina, that's appreciated.

Looking at it again it's probably not an issue at all.

On another note, I am surprised that the new mount isn't much taller than the EQ6. It actually looks like it holds the OTA a lot lower.

Steve J

Whether anything catches the umbilical remains to be seen.  Yes, I thought it would be taller than the NEQ6 but the greatly improved design means that it's more compact with less offset.  I'm dying to get it set up on the pier.  Hoping for this afternoon - "life" gets in the way this morning :(

Congratulation Gina on your lovely new mount looks like you couldn't wait for Christmas then :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

If I'd waited for Christmas I wouldn't have got it until well into the New Year!  And it's wanted for the winter season.  Plus, I'm taking the view that I want to make the best of my time while I'm still capable of getting about and doing things.

Do not forget to do the mod to the way the clutch lever is attached! I read somewhere that it can hit the dovetail plate.

I shall be checking all those sort of things.

If I'd waited for Christmas I wouldn't have got it until well into the New Year! And it's wanted for the winter season. Plus, I'm taking the view that I want to make the best of my time while I'm still capable of getting about and doing things.

Plus Christmas is just the time to be imaging not cooking turkeys and being bored with clearing up pine needles. :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

May have a problem.  The M8 flanged bolts used to hold the AZ PA adjustment are NOT included with the mount :(  I shall have a look round and see if I've got any M8 bolts and washers.  Meanwhile I have a look on ebay and order a couple if available.

Holes are now tapped and I'm hoping to reassemble the pier adapter and get the mount on it this evening.  However, I'm a little way off actual imaging with a few things yet to sort out.

Well, I'm sorry folks but I've run out of daylight and energy for getting the mount out into the obsy.  The ground between the house and obsy is very rough and this mount is too heavy for me to just carry out so I'm planning to carry it out in it's case, probably with the help of a sack barrow and large pieces of chipboard, OSB or plywood.  I'm not risking it in the dark.

Tomorrow's forecast is fine though cloudy so I should be able to get the mount out to the obsy then.

I wouldn't have expected any imaging for a while. You've got to get to know the mount first and then fully align it.

You're right there - I've been far too optimistic in what I can get done in a certain time.  No good trying to rush things.  It's clear tonight but apart from that, the forecast for the next 10 days/nights is hopeless for imaging.

Have you got anything still setup Gina - might as well get a quick fix in (last hoorah for the EQ6), given the dodgy outlook you'll have plenty of time to get the EQ8 mounted and under control before the skies clear!

It's stunning down here at the moment - until moonrise that is :(, but might just get a shot at Jupiter between 3 & 4!

Have you got anything still setup Gina - might as well get a quick fix in (last hoorah for the EQ6), given the dodgy outlook you'll have plenty of time to get the EQ8 mounted and under control before the skies clear!

It's stunning down here at the moment - until moonrise that is :(, but might just get a shot at Jupiter between 3 & 4!

'Fraid not - had to dismantle everything to get the top plate out for modifying for the EQ8.  Had an early night instead and slept like a log :)   (Funny ol' language, this - why should logs sleep? :D)  Very heavy dew with everywhere dripping wet this morning.

The ground between the house and obsy is very rough and this mount is too heavy for me to just carry out so I'm planning to carry it out in it's case, probably with the help of a sack barrow and large pieces of chipboard, OSB or plywood.  I'm not risking it in the dark.

Gina

I'm only just down the road - let me know if you need a hand. I'd hate to see you or the mount get hurt!!  :sad:

Steve

Gina

I'm only just down the road - let me know if you need a hand. I'd hate to see you or the mount get hurt!!  :sad:

Steve

Very nice offer - thank you very much :)  I'll let you know if I want help :)

I could hold a little gathering to "show off" my kit when I've got my EQ8 up and running if there's interest :)  I like to chat with other astronomy/astrophotography addicts :)

I have now got the mount into the obsy :)  Used 2 pieces of OSB left over from the obsy build and an old ramp made of chipboard on a wooden framework and trundled it from the house in it's wheeled box.  It was actually relatively easy.  I took it out of the back door as that is level with the outside ground which slopes down towards the south (and obsy).  The OSB covered the lumps and bumps and I was able to wheel the box and mount easily on the OSB.  In fact it was keener than I was to get down the slope :D  Two of the wheels have brakes and I was able hold the box on one board while I moved the other, so moving boards alternately and wheeling from one to the other, I was able to work my way down to the warm room door, then up the ramp and inside.

post-13131-0-49972800-1382619966_thumb.j

Archived